Wheels- rim wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leyton condor

Veteran
I have DRC ST22 rims on my Condor italia which I bought nearly 8 years ago. It has probably done 15 to 20 thosand miles (I'm not very good at keeping records or buying new batteries for the ergobrain). When I commute in wet weather they get covered in grey sludge which has a milled aluminium smell to it (I do wipe this off at the end of my ride). There does not seem to be any wear indicator on the rims, so does anyone know how thick they should be if I was to measure them?
How long do rims normally last?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The grey sludge is the brake blocks and a small amount of alloy - just wash off.

As to how long they last...... the side walls will develop a crack, or you'll get other problems first. All depends upon riding - if it's mainly road, and the rims/blocks are kept clean, then they'll last alot longer than for path/track use. Also the terrain ?

If you are getting any problems with them, then I'd replace.

I've replaced all my road wheels this year - both pairs developed clicks when powering away - just got annoying - they have been retired.

andygates

Use your thumb as a guide. If the curvature of your thumb fits into the worn concave side of the rim, I'd consider replacing them come the good weather.

domtyler

Über Member
I just had to replace a set of wheels, the rims were so worn after three winters commuting that they were completely concaved in, they had been like that for some time though and it was only because spokes were starting to break almost every journey that I decided it was time.

OP
OP
L

leyton condor

Veteran
Thanks a lot for your advice folks. I think i will continue with them for a while longer. I haven't noticed any clicking or cracking, and they are only a little concave.

leyton condor said:
Thanks a lot for your advice folks. I think i will continue with them for a while longer. I haven't noticed any clicking or cracking, and they are only a little concave.
I'm amused at the thought of you sniffing your rims.
I mean, there's kinky and there's kinky....:tongue:;);)

If you have a good LBS then ask them.

Dave5N

Über Member
Pump the tyres right up - double pressure. If the rims fail get new ones. ;)

I got a set of Ksyriums on the 'crosser that are pretty concave - TBH I am leaving it as long as I can - and the tyres are only at 50psi anyway.

Top Bottom