Wheels Wrecked ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cubey

Über Member
Following a decent in bright sun and on a very busy A road, lots of traffic, I was unable to avoid a large pot hole. Result two pinch flats and damaged rims, now from the photos would you replace the rims or continue using them.

The front rim, damaged on one side, has re inflated to 100psi

IMG-20170324-132904-HDR.jpg

And the rear rim, damaged also on one side.
IMG-20170324-133000-HDR.jpg

Should I replace them with a sturdier option and if so what, They are through axels and run disc brakes.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Send the images to the local council and demand recompense. First get a quote from your lbs who may be able to help with the correct person at the council.

My lbs offered this although the damage to the rim will be their only consideration, not hubs or spokes...rims are not that pricey, laceing them, fitting hubs etc is all costly

So in the end it might only mitigate the cost of replacement.

Edit...drive over and photograph the hole now before its filled. Also report it on fill that hole.

OP
OP
cubey

cubey

Über Member
Cheers fellas. Found the offending hole me thinks, I had moved over to the left of the road because of a traffic island and as you can see not a massive size but must have been very deep.

This is what I found on Google streetview.
pot-hole.jpg

Tim Hall

ouch those poor rims

would i use them ?

if i had to try a few slow and short rides and keep checking them but looking again the damage is on the braking area so be very very careful
Disc brakes, so that's not an issue. I'd still be careful mind.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
You're running discs, so no effect on braking. Get some pliers and straighten them up a little. Then you are all set.

Yes, they are safe to use. Very safe, nothing to be worried about. And please, please don't use pliers or a shifting spanner to fix them. They can be repaired so nicely you won't even see the marks. Using a steel tool will just make it look worse. Make sure your bike shop won't use steel tools to do the job either. I used to repair plenty of rims like that and somewhere in my archives I have some photos of the process.

OP
OP
cubey

cubey

Über Member
Some reassuring reply's there gents, looking at £250 at least for equivalent replacements. As can be seen in the image it is not as such a pot hole as it looks like something has gouged out the road, it is just before the junction with the B6137 as you travel along the A63 towards the Garforth roundabout. nr the traffic island.

si_c

Guru
If it's on street view, then it's been there a while. I'd suggest getting in touch with the council and see what they offer.

I'd be worried about using them if you were using rim brakes, but if they've reinflated then with discs unsightly but fine.

If the council offer to cover the cost of them, put the money towards a new set of wheels from your LBS, and use those in winter.

Top Bottom