Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
I keep reading that the best upgrade for your bike is to fit new wheels.
My bike came with Ambrosio ws23's on miche hubs and my question is, will I see a difference swapping them for Campag Scirroco's as they seem to be well regarded and currently only £160 a set.

Will1985

Über Member
Tyres before wheels.

I don't think there is much of a (rotational) weight saving by moving to Sciroccos so there isn't much benefit.

Noodley

I moved from Ambrosio standard wheels on my Bianchi to Xeros last year and there was a big difference in (rotational) weight...which was very noticeable on the road.

I'm not sure what the weights of the two wheels you mention are are so it would depend on how big a difference there is.

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Tyres before wheels, the ones I got with it are Vittoria Zaffiro's, is the benefit in the weight with tyres as well or rolling resistance?

Right so it's down to weight then. Need to weigh 'em and compare.

Cheers!

Edit. See that Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres are just shy of 8oz a set lighter. Fair saving on rotational weight then for not a lot of dosh!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Wheels before tyres! A tyre can't correct any deficiencies in the wheel.

Yes,weight is a factor but so is the stiffness of the rim and spokes and the efficiency of the hub.

I've never ridden the Scirroco's but they will be a marked improvement in the 3 above areas.

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
Bought the tyres now, am gonna do a bit more research into wheels and just ride these ambrosio's this year. Scirocco's look a good wheel for the money but my lbs does a wheel building service so I think I may let them build me a set.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Chrisc said:
Bought the tyres now, am gonna do a bit more research into wheels and just ride these ambrosio's this year. Scirocco's look a good wheel for the money but my lbs does a wheel building service so I think I may let them build me a set.

Sensible approach as wheel upgrading is addictive and expensive.

I'd personally be wary about getting a pair built unless it is by an experienced wheel builder and even then I still don't rate them compared to factory built products.

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
accountantpete said:
Sensible approach as wheel upgrading is addictive and expensive.

I'd personally be wary about getting a pair built unless it is by an experienced wheel builder and even then I still don't rate them compared to factory built products.

I'll have a look at what my lbs can do and if I go with campy Scirocco's I don't think I'll go far wrong. I love that spoke pattern which is far and away the best reason I can think of for buying them...:smile:

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
I have Fulcrum 1's and Schwalbe Utremo's on my commute - great combo!

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
New tarty tyres are on! Now to try 'em out.

whitewall3.jpg

OP
OP
Chrisc

Chrisc

Guru
gaz said:
A nice tyre, run the white ones my self.

Let's see how they feel compared to the Zaffiro's it came with. Certainly flexible in the sidewall, went on using thumbs, dead easy.

EDIT: First impressions. Silky smooth ride and fast. Result!

Chris James

Über Member
Chrisc said:
....my lbs does a wheel building service so I think I may let them build me a set.

Which one? I asked a while ago in TryCycling and they didn't seem interested, despite their flyers bragging about building wheels for Olympians!

Top Bottom