1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheels

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Saddle bum, 20 Mar 2008.

1. Saddle bum

Saddle bum Über Member

Who uses hand built wheels these days and would you consider buying them despite the market being flooded with ready-mades?

2. betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

I'm getting some handbuilt for my new fixie. This way, you can select your own hub/spoke/rim combination.
    Hopefully picking them up today!

3. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

i've just had a lovely campag/mavic ceramic rear wheel built up to replace my scirroco with after i stuck me rear mech through it.....not quite as aero but nice and light. Shiny spokes for the time being too.

4. Landslide

Landslide Rare Migrant

I build my own...

I'd rather hand-builts due to the availability of spares and ease of servicing.
    Plus I'm a retro-grouch who doesn't like the look of the new Mavpag Fulcriums or whatever they are these days... :tongue:

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Two of my three have hand builts.

Fixie - Mavic CXP22 rims, Ambrosio hubs
    Tour/Commuter - XT rear, Schmidt Dynohub front, Sapim spokes, Chrina rims.
    Road - Aksiums

6. Definitely go with hand built for a big tour. During 6 months across Europe and Central Asia we had absolutely no problems with our wheels. Previously we'd always broken spokes on ready mades.

7. Renard

Renard Guest

Handbuilt wheels on my winter bike (M part tiagra/105 and open pro rims). Stay nice and true.