Wheelsets - some advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
Just looking for some feedback or experience on the PLANET X R50? what are they like?

Ive seen those going for sale, if not I can add more to get MAVIC CARBONE SL

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The R50 are tubular rims.
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL are clincher rims.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Are you referring to the right thing here? I wonder if the OP has confused himself between the tub and the clincher wheels, different beasts altogether.

The clinchers are available with no logo soon, I kind of want some, but .........Planet X................ not sure I can stomach giving them any money.

Planet X just import in Chinese carbon. That being said they are pretty good bang for buck. I run the 50mm tubs (1400grams i think) and they seem to be decent quality.
You can also import the same standard wheels from China from the likes of Dengfu or Far sports but warranty is on your head. Saying that though at £300-£400 (delivered) for a set of 38mm carbon tubs weighing in at 1080grams is pretty appealing. They also review well from those who have purchased.

Planet X and plenty similar just but import these and slap their own logos on them. Oh and increase the price substantially.
I got the no logo planet X's. The logo ones look bloody horrible imho.

OP
OP
musa

musa

Über Member
As Rob3rt mentioned the R50 are tubs, I didn't do much research hence the thread. I was just wanting to know like, any background info on them, are there worth the purchase kinda stuff...but seeing as their tubs, I'll try save up for the cosmics (somehow)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
As Rob3rt mentioned the R50 are tubs, I didn't do much research hence the thread. I was just wanting to know like, any background info on them, are there worth the purchase kinda stuff...but seeing as their tubs, I'll try save up for the cosmics (somehow)

PX sell a set of clincher 50mm's, like the Mavic (alloy rim with a carbon fairing). They weight about 40-50g more than the Mavic's but cost £399. No logo version is due in stock soon at a hiked price of ~£450 I think.

what do you plan on using them for? I wouldn't want to use 50mm rims for everyday use...

OP
OP
musa

musa

Über Member
Nor would I, it'll be for summer rides etc and club runs that sort of stuff was looking to get into something competitive for fun and not on a serious level

Well, I can get some (mavics) for about 450-500 if the guy still holds them if not then maybe the PX will do

Nor would I, it'll be for summer rides etc and club runs that sort of stuff was looking to get into something competitive for fun and not on a serious level

TBH, that's what I would class as 'everyday use'. 50mm clinchers will not perform as well as something like the RS80 or DA C24 (or any other good, lightweight low profile wheel set) - but the 50s will obviously look more hardcore...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I'd be thinking about saving a few pennies and checking out Pro Lite Braccianos at CRC for 299 :smile:

I am considering a wheel upgrade myself and have been very tempted by these for a while now. Also quite fancy Carbon wheels with a deeper section rim but it's just vanity - perhaps at the expense of both my pocket and the weight of the wheels.

OP
OP
musa

musa

Über Member
Hmmm, if it was style being the base of it then I'd jump at it, but it's not. I know I won't use them much as it is...so maybe I'll look at other options like C24, C50 or K1 etc

OP
OP
musa

musa

Über Member
A new set (if bought) will go on my roubaix while I may delegate the Aksiums to the commuter bike I'm to buy (Ribble 7005 audax)

TBH, that's what I would class as 'everyday use'. 50mm clinchers will not perform as well as something like the RS80 or DA C24 (or any other good, lightweight low profile wheel set) - but the 50s will obviously look more hardcore...
50mm Carbon tubulars though will be lighter and faster than any similar priced clincher. So if Musa is up for going with Tubs then for £500, which would include very good tubular tyres at £50 each, then he will have a 1400gram wheelset that is more aero. I can personally vouch that they out perform Ksyrium elite and Fulcrum 1 clinchers. Both similar priced.

If though Musa is only up for clinchers then your recommendations are pretty good imo.

Musa: For what it's worth i am very glad i tried tubulars with deeper carbon rims. Climbs very well and holds speed over 20mph better than lower profile wheels. Find out what wheels you find best or the most fun and use them in the summer. Life is too short to ride your 2nd favourite wheels.

400bhp

Guru

Well, I can get some (mavics) for about 450-500 if the guy still holds them if not then maybe the PX will do

You sound a bit like me. I had a thread going (see if you can find it, was about 2 months ago). I ended up with Ksyrium Elite S, reason being I was getting a bike built up and they sold the wheels at the shop.

One of the only decent reviews I've seen in Cycling Plus was a wheel review for wheels < £500 IIRC. See if you can get hold of a copy. It was either in this months or the month before.

Top Bottom