When 3 Norths collide - one for mapping geeks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I have an urge,and it's a very long time since I had one of those But I really fancy a scone with jam and cream.But what goes on first the jam or cream,also this afternoon I took one look at some blackpudding and nearly fainted,something is not right I tell you.

<born proper oop north, now gawn native darn sarf ... my heed is proper spinning now ... >

presta

Guru
True and grid norths are unchanging, there is one line through the country where they align and it will never change (2 deg. W of Greenich. Magnetic north is constantly changing, hence those panels on OS maps showing how to calculate It for the current year,

Once magnetic north has moved on, you'll be able to find another place where MN & TN align, but it will be different to the place where GN & TN align, because that doesn't move.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
The office block that I used to work in was a perfect cross shape, with wings pointing to the NW, NE, SW and SE. One of our managers, who was generally quite inept, distributed self-drawn office plans for us to complete when organising a large-scale re-organisation. On it, she referred to the "North wing", "South wing" etc and ended up confusing everybody. From then on, when discussing map work (which was a major element of our work), we referred to "True North" and "Nicola North".

DRM

Guru
True and grid norths are unchanging, there is one line through the country where they align and it will never change (2 deg. W of Greenich. Magnetic north is constantly changing, hence those panels on OS maps showing how to calculate It for the current year,
This is spot on, the bit that got me was it’s nothing to do with climate change….dear god! What do they teach in geography these days :wacko:

Found this helpful map
- if you don't live on this line, your grid/true relationship will always be troubled; but
- if you DO live on it, your grey skies will always be blighted by the big blue eyesore :sad:

1667459434153.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
And i thought Watford gap is where the north started

That’s where the Grim North starts, with Savage North starting at Hadrian’s Wall

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The magnetic poles will flip before I understand this story.

Think I need a diagram showing all "three norths".

think of it as 2 out of 3 triplets have always lived in the same house, and the third has been travelling around. He's house back to stay with them for a while, but they are now in a caravan heading due north.

"due which north?" you ask

"all farking three"

thank you.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
think of it as 2 out of 3 triplets have always lived in the same house, and the third has been travelling around. He's house back to stay with them for a while, but they are now in a caravan heading due north.
Your metaphor doesn't quite work. Let me try to stretch it out of all recognition.

All three triplets all travel widely. Two of them, Gerald and Trudy will only ever stay in the same hotel in the same place in a very few towns. Normally they insist on getting separate hotels a short distance from each other. Langton Matravers is one of those few places where Gerald and Trudy will agree to stay under the same roof. Gerald and Trudy are predictable souls, so we always know whether they'll agree to stay in the same hotel or to get separate ones - typically it's only when they are in the West of the England, but not too far west*, and hardly ever in Scotland and never in Wales. (To see where Gerald and Trudy will agree to stay in the same hotel, see the blue line on @matticus' map here)

*Except in the North, where they will stay together in the East.

The third triplet, Maggie, is a free spirit and has very changeable moods. When they get together she normally takes a separate hotel, but depending oh her mood, will sometimes agree to stay in the same hotel as Gerald or Trudy (Who, as we know, rarely agree to stay in the same hotel).

But amazingly, all three visited Langton Maltravers at a time when Maggie was feeling sociable. Gerald and Trudy had already agreed to stay in the same hotel there, and because of Maggie's sociable mood now all three are in the same hotel. This is very rare.

This won't last long. Maggie's mood will change. She might next be in a sociable mood somewhere in the East of the country. But unfortunately we know that Gerald and Trudy won't stay together in the East*. So Maggie might stay with one or the other, but they won't all three be together.

* Except in the North, where they won't stay together in the West.

Simples

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Your metaphor doesn't quite work. Let me try to stretch it out of all recognition.

All three triplets all travel widely round the country. Two of them, Gerald and Trudy will only ever stay in the same hotel in the same place in a very few towns. Normally they insist on getting separate hotels a short distance from each other. Langton Matravers is one of those few places where Gerald and Trudy will agree to stay under the same roof. Gerald and Trudy are predictable souls, so we always know whether they'll agree to stay in the same hotel or to get separate ones - typically it's only when they are in the West of the country, but not too far west. (To see where Gerald and Trudy will agree to stay in the same hotel, see @matticus' map here)

The third triplet, Maggie, is a free spirit and has very changeable moods. When they get together she normally takes a separate hotel, but depending oh her mood, will sometimes agree to stay in the same hotel as Gerald or Trudy (Who, as we know, rarely agree to stay in the same hotel).

But amazingly, all three visited Langton Maltravers at a time when Maggie was feeling sociable. Gerald and Trudy had already agreed to stay in the same hotel there, and because of Maggie's sociable mood now all three are in the same hotel. This is very rare.

This won't last long. Maggie's mood will change. She might next be in a sociable mood somewhere in the East of the country. But unfortunately we know that Gerald and Trudy won't stay together in the East. So Maggie might stay with one or the other, but they won't all three be together.

Simples

not quite, lose your west references, as Berwick upon Tweed is on the east coast and Gerald Trudy and Maggie are booked in for summer 2025:becool:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
not quite, lose your west references, as Berwick upon Tweed is on the east coast and Gerald Trudy and Maggie are booked in for summer 2025:becool:

Yes, the country bends annoyingly westwards up in the North but it's broadly true.

Top Bottom