When a friend does a punishment pass...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I often get told, by a really nice colleague: be careful out there on your bike, watch out for psycho drivers like me that hate cyclists ...

I've had a few like that, usually followed by something along the lines of having me wrapping a bike round their head. :evil: Or colleagues that think I'm somehow responsible for other 'cyclists' being silly. The best ones are folk writing in my 'get well' card to give up cycling, its too dangerous - WHO is actually making things DANGEROUS... :ohmy:

Last edited:

Lemond

Why do so many persist with this "punishment pass" guff? They're not out to punish you because you're riding a bike, they're just piss poor drivers who really don't understand what they're doing wrong. They're the types that don't slow down for horses, blast through pedestrian crossings, fail to indicate, use their phones while driving, hog the middle lane, the list goes on.

Mile195

Veteran
People do learn from their mistakes. Today she's a thoughtless and ignorant driver, but off the back of the experience, tomorrow she might not be anymore.

Point out the vunerability of cyclists and how such a maneuver is at least threatening, and at worst deadly then move on, and live and let live. If she has a shred of reasonableness I think she will probably think about it more in future.

People that don't cycle, don't always understand how it feels to be on that side of the fence. For most reasonable people education is what's needed - not a witch hunt. And while I understand why many are quite emotive about the topic in their comments (and yes I do get that some are in jest!), the cries of what is basically "off with her head" are probably not massively useful to your situation.

Drago

Legendary Member
She's an idiot who thinks it's ok to endanger people just so long as she is not personally acquainted with them. I wouldn't associate with anyone who thinks that's an acceptable attitude.

Tell her straight - but politely - that her behaviour is bang out of line. If she reforms then great. If not I'd cease to associate with her, then when she eventually kills someone you won't be morally or emotionally tangled up in a mess of her own making.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I like this: 'She' also applies ...

upload_2016-2-4_20-21-40.png

Last edited:

hatler

Guru
Why do so many persist with this "punishment pass" guff? They're not out to punish you because you're riding a bike, they're just piss poor drivers who really don't understand what they're doing wrong. They're the types that don't slow down for horses, blast through pedestrian crossings, fail to indicate, use their phones while driving, hog the middle lane, the list goes on.

It does happen, only rarely, but it is a real-life phenomenon.

How else does one explain a van driver passing me very closely on Priory Lane one day, and then, when I gestured, he waved his arms around in response. He was clearly looking in his mirror and looking for a response.

When I caught him and asked why he got so close one of his stunning bits of logic was, "Well, you were all over the road." This was in the days before I knew any better and was only a foot off the kerb (and I was keeping a very straight line too). Why then, if I was indeed "all over the road" did he choose to pass me within 6" when I was only a foot off the kerb ?

There's a cycle path alongside this bit of road and he was very clearly trying to 'persuade' me that I should use it by deploying a punishment pass.

That's just one of a number of similar incidents I could recount.

Lemond

It does happen, only rarely, but it is a real-life phenomenon.

How else does one explain a van driver passing me very closely on Priory Lane one day, and then, when I gestured, he waved his arms around in response. He was clearly looking in his mirror and looking for a response.

When I caught him and asked why he got so close one of his stunning bits of logic was, "Well, you were all over the road." This was in the days before I knew any better and was only a foot off the kerb (and I was keeping a very straight line too). Why then, if I was indeed "all over the road" did he choose to pass me within 6" when I was only a foot off the kerb ?

There's a cycle path alongside this bit of road and he was very clearly trying to 'persuade' me that I should use it by deploying a punishment pass.

That's just one of a number of similar incidents I could recount.

Easy: he's a bad driver, who didn't like the fact that you criticised his driving. He didn't say he was punishing you, he tried to justify his poor driving by blaming you. Big difference.

hatler

Guru
Easy: he's a bad driver, who didn't like the fact that you criticised his driving. He didn't say he was punishing you, he tried to justify his poor driving by blaming you. Big difference.
So why was he looking in his mirror for my response, and the moment I gestured, he responded ? He was deliberately trying to provoke me. He also made it clear that I should have been on the cycle path.

Top Bottom