When are you British?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
The Irish are also a lot more County proud than we are.
What !
Even more than us Yorkshire folk?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
When the Romans settled/invaded Britain there was no border between Scotland and England in fact they didn't exist as separate countries. You could argue that England and Scotland were created by Italians..... :whistle:

According to the Museums etc along Hadrians Wall, many of the "Romans" who came here were not from what we now call "Italy", but rather from Eastern Europe, Middle East and North Africa.

Just goes to show, multi cultures is not a new idea ;)

According to the Museums etc along Hadrians Wall, many of the "Romans" who came here were not from what we now call "Italy", but rather from Eastern Europe, Middle East and North Africa.

Tis true. Well remember visiting that impressively sited roman fort in the lake district. Seem to remember the garrison was mainly rumanian. Dacia to the romans i think, as in that questionable car.

To italians we're all english, never sure why.
They"ll talk about the british empire (bad, roman empire good, nice white buildings) then refer to the whole lot of us as inglesi. All very odd.
Years ago saw an antoniono film.
Cut to scene of waves on a windy beach, helpful caption said

Wales, England

Camden audience a bit bemused.

pjd57

Veteran

And many of the " Romans " who ventured further north to Antonines wall came from Syria.
So Syrians coming to Scotland now can say it's the land of their ancestors

DRM

Guru
We one year were on a campsite in the vendee, whilst talking with our neighbours on the next pitch one morning a woman walked past looking at us, so we both said Bonjour, she immediately and very aggressively said something I didn’t understand, however the guy I was talking to said something back, the look on her face was priceless, hiding behind a language she thought we didn’t understand, he told me she said I don’t speak effin french, I speak effin welsh, he replied with so do I!
funnily enough she walked the long way round the site to avoid us all fortnight, yes the car, caravan and everything they had was plastered in welsh flags

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
And many of the " Romans " who ventured further north to Antonines wall came from Syria.
So Syrians coming to Scotland now can say it's the land of their ancestors

Near Braco, I stumbled across an old Roman fort whilst out cycling - just a small sign beyond a fence piqued my interest. It marked the remains of a fort built by the Romans during a campaign by the Emperor Severus in 208 AD. He took 50,000 men into Scotland and marched them all the way to the Moray Firth, being harassed all the way by Picts but with no pitched battle. He took ill on the campaign, allegedly from midgie bites and died in York the next year. He was the first black Roman emperor.

Also, Pontius Pilate was Scottish.

DRM

Guru
It’s my understanding that the Romans did have foreigners in the roman army, but they were always posted nowhere near where they originated from, but after doing their service they became fully fledged romans, as did the slaves, who could become freemen, and did sometime even marry their mistresses

Top Bottom