When are you British?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yes, i do sometimes speak my mind and not act like a nodding dog. You should try it sometimes.:whistle: ;)

I do but I try not to do so from a position of ignorance.

Milzy

Guru
Are some of your best friends porridge eaters?

I don't mean to give you a hard time, but when you use language like "porridge eaters", I stop listening to anything else you have to say.
It's only a mild term, I practically live off the stuff.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Near Braco, I stumbled across an old Roman fort whilst out cycling - just a small sign beyond a fence piqued my interest. It marked the remains of a fort built by the Romans during a campaign by the Emperor Severus in 208 AD. He took 50,000 men into Scotland and marched them all the way to the Moray Firth, being harassed all the way by Picts but with no pitched battle. He took ill on the campaign, allegedly from midgie bites and died in York the next year. He was the first black Roman emperor.

Also, Pontius Pilate was Scottish.

Indeed. No doubt, despite the harrassment from the locals, there would have been the occasional Rest and Recreation day, resulting in some "foreign" DNA being introduced into the rich mix of which we "pure" British (or English, Scots, Welsh, etc etc) are so flag wavingly proud. ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
It’s my understanding that the Romans did have foreigners in the roman army, but they were always posted nowhere near where they originated from, but after doing their service they became fully fledged romans, as did the slaves, who could become freemen, and did sometime even marry their mistresses

Yes, according to the information boards at Housesteads (near Hadrian's Wall), that is so. Don't recall any mention of the other activities, but, without TV or Internet, they must have found someway to amuse themselves on those long dark nights in Northumberland. ;)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Also the Channel Islands have been conveniently omitted, as has Shetland.
The Channel Islands should be omitted, they are not part of the UK either, but Shetland should be included. The diagram is actually even worse than that as it forgets that all the Oversea Territories such as the Falklands, Bermuda and Pitcairns etc.

What a wonderful tale of casual xenophobia mixed with a little racism.

My anecdote only mentions French and Scottish as nationalities :cuppa:
I'm sorry that you feel personally attacked by my story because Scotland and France have historically good relations. :okay:

Edit to add: In the interest of fairness, the post I was replying to did involve the phrase "Je ne suis pas Anglais" so my feathers are perhaps being inappropriately ruffled. i apologise.

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
It's only a mild term, I practically live off the stuff.

Given the reaction from Scots on this thread, I think it's pretty obvious that we don't consider it 'a mild term'. You may have used it in a light-hearted context and not think anything of it, but fundamentally it's an insult.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Given the reaction from Scots on this thread, I think it's pretty obvious that we don't consider it 'a mild term'. You may have used it in a light-hearted context and not think anything of it, but fundamentally it's an insult.
People from Lancashire get called 'wooley backs' by Scousers. Scousers get called 'bin dippers'.The Welsh and Yorkshire folk get called 'sheep shaggers'. Saying that Scots eat porridge isn't really insulting when you think about it.:cuppa:

Skibird

It is, if you're just waiting to be insulted.:rolleyes:
Don't be so ridiculous! It's not the 1970's anymore in case you hadn't realised. I've got pretty thick skin considering I grew up with long, red, wild and curly hair (in Wales) but with parents who taught me to stick up for myself, I did, that doesn't mean I would not take offence if you used the above words to describe me...………...…...…………...….and you would not get away with it a 2nd time if you did.

Milzy

Guru
I'm insulted every day of my life, do I cry like a baby or go take an overdose? No, I just go about my day. If you refuse to be the victim then you're not.

Top Bottom