When are you British?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
The Scottish and Welsh, however, used to go and actually buy the shirts of whatever team England were playing.
I think the behaviour you describe was a reaction to the London based main stream media who so often reported things in a manner that suggested the English team was the sole representative of the UK, even when other UK nations were in the competition. The English team was often referred to as "we" in broadcasts to the whole of the UK, and in the pre-match chat build up prominence was given to the likely performance of the English team rather than a fair coverage of each of the competing nations.
Little wonder the non-English viewers/listeners reacted a bit perversely in your experience:biggrin:.
Whilst passing through Belgium on a cycle tour a few years ago I was invited on board one of HM Ships. After a beer or two the tv was put on to watch a Scotland v England football match. I had already realised there were representatives of several home nations in the cabin and wondered what the viewer reaction was going to be like. It all turned out to be surprisingly amicable:smile:.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Andy Murray was British when he was winning and Scottish when he'd lost..

Venod

Eh up
If I am abroad I will tell people I am English, if in Scotland, Wales and even Ireland I tell people I am from Yorkshire.
For some reason that escapes me, the wife and I have been mistaken for being Swedish on more than one occasion.

Last edited:

matiz

Guru
My grandad was Irish my grandmother and mother both Welsh my dad English I was born in the Midlands so I'm English.

robjh

Legendary Member
Errrm; don't let the Irish hear you calling them British :whistle:; they aren't!
Have you met any NI unionists?

GM

Legendary Member
According to my resent DNA test I'm..

Glad I'm a bit European!

Slick

Guru
I might be mistaken but I thought the Northern Irish were part of the UK, but not GB.. Hence United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland. So by that definition, Northern Irish are not British.
Your probably right but that's not how some see it. It was my mates wife who jumped down my throat to tell me she was British and not Irish. Probably a bit of a can of worms.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
London-born Lancastrian living in Devon, with an admixture of Spanish and Irish. Allergic to all forms of patriotism, nationalism, anthems and flags. But I do have a British passport.

Top Bottom