When buying spares, do we always go for the best....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
I started cycling reluctant to spend money on it, I'm usually a discounted, like a deal kind of guy. Gradually I've opened the purse strings, and at times I haven't noticed much difference, while at other times I've been blown away by the improvement for more expensive kit.

Tyres are a case in point. A lot of our club seemed to be on GP4000s. I must have tried about everything cheaper I could find. Sometimes I was plagued with punctures, sometimes they wore very quickly and sometimes they didn't grip in the wet. I moved to the 4000s and found them much better. They really appear to me to have found a sweet spot between grip and resilience.

I bought up a few when they stopped making them, and still have one left, carried in my saddlebag on an audax. I also have a set of GP5000s bought on sale at one point. I understand that they have more grip, but don't wear as well, which might not work for me.

My biggest regret with tyres is not the price of them, but that I didn't decide to pay more and try them sooner.

yello

Hmm, yes, tyres. I found either the afore mentioned GP4000 or the Conti 4 Seasons to be my tyre of choice, depending on bike. The prices of those tyres these days are a bit steep for me these days. But given the comments above maybe buying cheaper is a false economy?? After all, it was experience, and trial & error, that got me to them in the first place.

What kind of driving boots do you wear? High end F1 boots give superior grip and responsiveness combined with ultra light weight and fire protection. It may look a bit dorky wheeling a trolley around Tesco wearing F1 boots but trust me, once you are back behind the wheel; the difference in power delivery and speed of response is measurable . Its all about marginal gains.

Never thought about marginal gains leaving a 10mph Tesco car park. Must tell the misses I need a pair of these boots for when we go shopping ^_^

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It's quite cheap. My Spesh shoes were closer to £150 over 15 years ago - used Xmas and birthday money. Still going strong !
Like my Specialized shoes too. Bit wider in the toe box which suits me. Not that long since I bought the Recon 2.0. Comfy and enough room for thicker socks when it turns colder.

Top Bottom