When buying spares, do we always go for the best....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
They’ll last longer if only doing 60 miles a week as compared to a couple of hundred.
I’ve never spent more than £25 on a tyre I think and they’ve all served me well.
Oh other than Marathon Plus and they were awful heavy slippery things, glad when I sold the bike wearing them :laugh:
That was the better option rather than having to get the beggars off the rims!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I will always recycle and repurpose anything where possible, old tyres make good mudflaps etc. Otherwise I buy the most practical and best I can afford when needed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Road tyres can make a difference. I used to swear by Michelin Pro Race for the best bike, but they are super thin. They roll fantastically, but you won't really want to take them on anything more that decent surfaces. My riding's changed, and I'm often on tiny country lanes that are gravel. I've been mightily inpressed with Vittoria Zaffiro's decpite them being cheap. They roll well, and are tough, and great on poor surfaces.

MTB tyres, then that's down to intended use. The FS came with Nobby Nics, and whilst they roll quickly, thet aren't great on off camber as they slide out without warning. Switched to Minions (seriously expensive) and they are bloody great for grip, but a bit slow - but utterly confidence inspiring,

Components, then it's what's on the bike. Both road bikes are 30 years old - Dura Ace and Ultegra, so get looked after. Old MTB is Deore LX and XT - I keep it original, and the newer MTB is Sram X9 (XT equiv) and I replace like with like - bearings have been upgraded as have the jockey wheels/BB.

Price v function.

I'd no more but kit because "the pros" use it any more than id buy the same parts that Schumey used on his F1 car. Aside from the usual expense with no beneft, its usually inappropriate for my needs.
What kind of driving boots do you wear? High end F1 boots give superior grip and responsiveness combined with ultra light weight and fire protection. It may look a bit dorky wheeling a trolley around Tesco wearing F1 boots but trust me, once you are back behind the wheel; the difference in power delivery and speed of response is measurable . Its all about marginal gains.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
XT is bulletproof. It was 'bang for the buck' back in the day. Does that still hold true?

It still is, as is SLX and Deore believe it or not. XTR is stupid expensive for something that needs so much 'replacement' parts - it's expensive running any MTB if used properly. Definately a 'bang for buck' level. MrsF's MTB is XT and SLX and is seriously light for a full suspension.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's not true that a significant proportion of everyday riders do shell out big bucks for components to the specification of pro racers.

Next time you're out and about, count the number of Dura Ace components you see. It will be very few or none. Meanwhile pretty much all pros (who use Shimano) will be running Dura Ace.

Now compare that with the vast majority of Claris/Sora/Tiagra/105 plus a smattering of Ultegra (To use just Shimano examples. Same will apply for the Campagnolo / SRAM equivalents).

Now count the number of wheels with the tubular tyres preferred by many pros. Again few or none.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I get my tyres from Decathlon - fiver each. They seem a good match for a plodder like me.
Unfortunately plodders also get punctures, as I've found out to my cost. :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What kind of driving boots do you wear? High end F1 boots give superior grip and responsiveness combined with ultra light weight and fire protection. It may look a bit dorky wheeling a trolley around Tesco wearing F1 boots but trust me, once you are back behind the wheel; the difference in power delivery and speed of response is measurable . Its all about marginal gains.
Marginal gains driving to Tesco's? tell us about it.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Diminishing returns rule: 50% the price of a Rolls Royce buys you something that is 80% as good, which is still far better than most of us need. The car you need probably costs you 20% of a Rolls Royce, or less. Shop by need. Unless, of course, you need to impress…

Kajjal

Guru
XT is bulletproof. It was 'bang for the buck' back in the day. Does that still hold true?
The XT I have is the 10 speed version, it has been fine for several years now with no issues at all except the normal chain , cassette and brake pads changes. I bought it as it was half price in a sale and then I got an extra 10% off :bicycle:

Top Bottom