When cycling was for real men

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
Just been out for a quick evening spin with a friend on his relatively recently restored 25 year old Raleigh 531 Reynolds road bike.

Having looked at his rear cassette and thinking it was a touch on the small side he explained that he counted the cogs at the weekend.

It is running a 53/42 at the front and a 12-21 at the rear!

All I can say is that it is a good job we live in Suffolk and that there are no hills, he would beg to differ, but a few more rides and I am sure his legs will be a little more compliant.

400bhp

Guru
I used to have a 53/42, 12-18 in the early 90's.

Surprisingly I failed to get up Winnats pass on it.:whistle: Only hill I failed on though. Went up plenty of 20+%'ers on it.

D

Deleted member 1258

We used to run 52/42 with 14-24 5 speed blocks, I could get up most hills with that gearing,

raindog

er.....
We used to run 52/42 with 14-24 5 speed blocks, I could get up most hills with that gearing,
Yep, standard stuff in the "old days", and as a youth I was riding in Derbyshire. Thinking about it, I don't know how I managed, but I did. Couldn't now though - got 51/39 12-26 these days and it don't 'alf make life easier ^_^

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Still running a 54-42 but just got a granny gear 13-24 7 block to replace my original 13-17 5 speed, I never found a 12 cog in my time and I looked hard for one. I recently failed to get up the hill at Otley Chevin in one go (had to rest but never walked) but that is due to lack of fitness only been cycling again since Feb. Going back in a couple of months to put that right. Did do Harewood on the butchers bike tho. 50 or 48 used to be the option on a single front ring if I remember.

What are these gears of which you speak?

garin1903winner.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I used to have a dura ace chainset with 54-45. Impressive.

Top Bottom