When did you first hear of the internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't know when I first heard of it, but my first access to it wasn't until I came to Uni in 1999 - I seem to remember catching on quickly enough once I had the chance.

And now about 90% of my friends are 'virtual'!:smile:

Brains

Legendary Member
March 1988

I was involved in a team that 'invented' commercial E-Mail and put it to use on a genuine commercial basis.

We found that US Telex modems were compatable with phone lines, and by calling up the phone number directly we could send a message down the line at 1,200 baud, which was a great leap faster than the 400 baud of telex and saved a fortune in international telex costs.

We then used the 1,200 baud diagnostic modem fitted to all the shipping computer systems as and in/out modem for messages. It was a wonderful global sucess in the shipbroking world until the invention fax and the Refiler companies in the early 1990's.

We then joined the refiler companies together using X400 until we replaced the connections using the internet one country at a time.

First web page we had was 1995.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Brains said:
March 1988

I was involved in a team that 'invented' commercial E-Mail
You were a bit late to do that! I was using a commercial email service (Telecom Gold, which later merged with Dialcom) in 1983.

numbnuts said:
late starter 1996

I thought I was an early starter 1996 (with windows 95)....Although I was treading the bulletin boards before hand on the old amiga.

Anybody know of the bulletin board called Moon Moth run by a person called Bill Welch?

I really miss that bulletin board.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
hackbike 666 said:
Anybody know of the bulletin board called Moon Moth run by a person called Bill Welch?
I remember it well :-)

I'm no longer in touch with anyone from the old TBBS days, but I'm still in contact with some people I met on Fidonet.

Ben Lovejoy said:
I remember it well :-)

I'm no longer in touch with anyone from the old TBBS days, but I'm still in contact with some people I met on Fidonet.

Nice to hear I wondered what happened to the setup and Bill Welch.It was great fun in the very early days when I knew bug all about computers.:biggrin:

I had my first IBM PC back in 1982 and used dbase to setup a key to disk data entry application to replace IBM punch cards. Used a bbs for PDP work. Internet developed and used from around that time.

Noodley

I cannot remember when I became aware of t'internet but I was a regular computer user when I ran my own business and developed some good systems...BUT

when I went back to Uni in 2003 for my Masters I wrote my first essay on A4 bits of paper!!!. That was what I had done back in the late 80s when I had been a student and did not make the connection that things had changed :biggrin:

I remember the first time a went on a forum (C+)...quite daunting. :blush:

Top Bottom