When do you get off and walk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

When I can't turn the pedals anymore and its a case of dismount or fall over.

It happened here last winter about a dozen yards from the top

http://goo.gl/maps/NkXxD

I was coming back from the Lickey Hills

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4F

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
When it's too steep or I fancy a change.
I walked up some of a few cols when I was Bromptonising Provence.

Twinks

Über Member
Haha I got off and SOMEBODY ELSE pushed on Saturday!! Following hubby through the swollen stream at Rowarth on my hybrid my bottle went . Someone came along wearing wellies and offered to push it through for me and I jumped over the bank at a narrower bit. How humiliating.

Otherwise on hills its normally seconds before I have a compete strop and a sulk..... I hate being beat. However we live in the hills and its happening less and less so that's good

OP
OP
Smurfy

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Obviously 2, otherwise you'd be knackered.:smile:
I suppose it depends where you are in the ride too.

If it's the last hill before home, I'm not too bothered about limping the last 5 miles home. If it's 10 miles into a 50 mile ride, it feels a bit silly to risk blowing up so soon.

There's a hill about 1/4 of the way into a 50-60 mile ride that I do, and I know it can't be ridden on my gearing, so I hop off quick rather than struggle for even 10 seconds longer. It seems more sensible than fighting something I know I can't win, and then struggling on other hills that would've been fairly easy if I hadn't battled the impossible.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
My fixed is 46/17 and I can get up most of the hills round my way up to about 15%. Can do steeper if they are short and I have a run up, but I'd prefer not to. 10% is about the limit for a longish climb without my kneecaps feeling like they want to fly off.

simongt

Guru
And of course, many, many years ago, folk would tour on single speeds and a three speed derailleur was something a bit special - ! As a lad in the 1960s, a five speed road bike was something most of us could only dream of owning.:bicycle:

OP
OP
Smurfy

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
And of course, many, many years ago, folk would tour on single speeds and a three speed derailleur was something a bit special - ! As a lad in the 1960s, a five speed road bike was something most of us could only dream of owning.:bicycle:
One of my relatives owned a 4 speed sturmey archer, and that was pre-WWII.

iandg

Legendary Member
When I get to the cafe stop :whistle:

I rode 64" last summer and the only hills I walked up were 2 by Bosta beach which are probably about 15% (I'm not that powerful) When I have to I bail at the last possible moment I can before falling.

Top Bottom