When do you get off and walk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
And one of the lads at school had a TEN speed on a Freddie Grubb frame with tubbed rims. How we envied him - ! No, we hated him - !:laugh:

snorri

Legendary Member
I find the road verges on steep hills invariably harbour some rare plant or insect species worthy of closer inspection:whistle:.
It can be difficult getting going again after stopping so continuing on foot is my preferred option.

Oooh! @ColinJ I have just seen this thread and I have a certain picture which I could be persuaded to publish, or not as the case may be for the right amount..........
I have never yet had to walk up a hill, however having said that I recced Colin's ride to see if I could get over The Trough of Bowland on 50 x18, I got about half way before having to turn around, a 48 front ring would have just made it possible although going down the other side doesn't bear thinking about.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Ted King, sometime president of CTC and a noted time-trialist once said, "I have never yet come across a hill that I can't walk up."
I used to be able to get up just about anything on 43/17, but those days are gone. Having said that, I live in Devon and still take the fixed for rides without only very occasional recourse to the 24" gear.

simongt

Guru
Good for you Old Plodder - ! Far less to go amiss eh - ?:hello:

GGJ

Veteran
I've never had to get off yet and push the bike up a hill, although I almost had to a few weeks ago when cycling in the Highlands, a short sharp climb that took me by surprise, but I managed through sheer determination to stay on and zigzag up the blighter

Top Bottom