When does your cycling "Season" start?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
So when do you club guys start thinking/preparing for the "Season"?

Last year I carried my fitness well through the winter with a combination of roughly a swim a run and probably 2 Turbo sessions per week. By early May I was screaming along, probably my peak, was OK-ish through June and July and was going down hill rapidy in August. By End Sept I pretty much parked-up the bike and come October I'd lost so much motivation I wondered if I'd every ride again.
But I've put in some gentle miles so far this year, the odd Turbo session, still running once a week. Doing 40 mile runs on a weekend and trying to ride an evening once a week. Nothing too strenuous but good miles.

When to whack-up the pace? Don't want to peak too early and crash by September.
What do others do?

TBH my "season never ends as I commute 26 miles a day even in the winter (although I don't race if that;s what you are talking about). I am however planning to take part in the London-Edinburgh-London next year, so I had better start thinking about extra miles. (BTW I do a bit of running also)

Maz

Guru
Not really answering your question, but picking up on what you've said...

The only cycling I've ever done is to work and back [about 13 miles]. You mention doing 40 mile runs on the w/e...is that without stopping for a rest? You must be knackered after that.

When you say 'season' do you mean you take part in races?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
EMD, lucky commute! Mines only a mile and a half.
I don't race apart from the odd TT (Slowish due to heart issues), but I do enjoy our competative club training night. I guess that during the summer months I want to be at my quickest to run with the crowd.

Maz, the 40 mile has a 5 min stop half way. 40 miles is no big distance for me, last may I did 85 comfortably and stopped for 1 P*ncture and a Pee! I'm happy at 100 mile days, so distance is usually OK, but speed is a different issue (am talking 20-22 mph on the flat on a good day/sub 30 TT).

As i don't commute, this is about the time I start to wind up the miles. The aim this year, as last, is to be doing some long day rides in May (that's 70 miles up for me) and some touring in June. Last year I got hit by a nasty virus which sunk me in May/June and with school holidays, I effectively missed all summer.xx(

Last year I rode through to November but by December the turbo was getting used more and effectively has been through Jan and Feb too. It has worked though. I did a ride yesterday in the 2nd fastest time so far and it was a month or two on last year I recorded my best time over it, so the turbo has kept me topped up but the CV system works a lot harder on the road than the turbo, so that's lagging behind and believe it or not my arms ache from honking uphill :sad:

Intend to keep going until the end of October and then maybe do some swimming and gym work this year until the following March and again use the turbo to stay at 60/70%.

Noodley

Last year I kept going into November, only because I wanted to start the Audax year (Audax runs from start of Nov- end of Oct) with a 300km hilly route. The same week I rode this I got injured and was unable to do anything for 3 months :sad: and I have found getting back into cycling quite hard, although I have been going to the gym to build up my fitness. I have ridden a 100km and 2 x 200km, but my "season" starts next weekend - from then onwards I have rides planned every second weekend ranging from 100km. I am aiming at 20AAA points this year (AAA points are for hill climbing) so will be concentrating on hilly rides but trying to pace myself from now through to October. Which is not such a good idea for someone who can't ride hills xx(

I may ride a SR again this year (SR is 200, 300, 400 and 600km rides in the same year) but not too fussed.

Dave5N

Über Member
Noodley said:
Last year I kept going into November, only because I wanted to start the Audax year (Audax runs from start of Nov- end of Oct) with a 300km hilly route. The same week I rode this I got injured and was unable to do anything for 3 months :smile: and I have found getting back into cycling quite hard, although I have been going to the gym to build up my fitness. I have ridden a 100km and 2 x 200km, but my "season" starts next weekend - from then onwards I have rides planned every second weekend ranging from 100km. I am aiming at 20AAA points this year (AAA points are for hill climbing) so will be concentrating on hilly rides but trying to pace myself from now through to October. Which is not such a good idea for someone who can't ride hills :sad:

I may ride a SR again this year (SR is 200, 300, 400 and 600km rides in the same year) but not too fussed.

Remind me again why sportifs are becoming more popular than audax.

You may produce graphs if you think it will help...

xx(

hambones

Doesn't really stop for me either. I've been cycling for 18 months now and pretty much every ride is the best yet so I still have the buzz for it. I've managed to ride 2 or 3 times a week throughout the winter and racked up 6 metric centuries so far with no.7 coming tomorrow with a 6am start. I've also taken part in a couple of hilly 25s but will always be one of the slowest on account of being a 'big lad'! That doesn't detract one iota from the fun of taking part and I'm looking forward to the club 10 season (26.08 to beat from last year). xx(

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Season all year long. I commute 29 miles a day and get out most lunchtimes as well and really pushing the miles out at the moment (1578 so far this year) in training for the dun run.

Trillian

my riding season starts:

road, June 1992 (on a actual road bike since aug last year)
off road, mid march - october depending on weather except for traditional new year and christmas eve bike rides.

Keith Oates

Janner
I normally ride 6 days a week, five in commuting and one other at the weekend. The commutes are mostly at a good pace so the fitness is fairly good and steady. However this year has been a disaster with moving back to China and a new company so to date I've only done 665 Km for the year so far. Let's hope the daily total will be back to normal very soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stevenb

Since owning my Turbo I have been using 2-3 times a week...at weekends I'll go out and do 50-80 miles. I dont run or swim or commute (by bike that is) and i feel as fresh as a daisy....and hope to for as long as I can through the year. The fact is Im trying to get better as time passes building up to what I'd like to achieve in months to come is perhaps UCI level 4 if at all possible.

Top Bottom