When fitting a rear pannier rack...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have spare bolts which will fit it if it doesnt come with any.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have a three year old Tortec Expedition rack that fits both a Dawes Discovery 501 hybrid and also a Specialized Secteur road bike. The fixing screws are M5. Here is a piccie of the chain side of the frame. At the bottom is the hub skewer with a black plastic knurled nut. At about one o'clock from the skewer is the screw that takes the derailleur hanger ( aka dropout). Directly above the hanger fixing is a tapped bush which will take the M5 screws for your rack. It is a very good idea to run the screws into the bushes before you mount the rack (1) to check that the bush is the right size and (2) to clean out any paint that may be on the threads of the bushes.
small rack fixing.JPG
Good luck.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have a three year old Tortec Expedition rack that fits both a Dawes Discovery 501 hybrid and also a Specialized Secteur road bike. The fixing screws are M5. Here is a piccie of the chain side of the frame. At the bottom is the hub skewer with a black plastic knurled nut. At about one o'clock from the skewer is the screw that takes the derailleur hanger ( aka dropout). Directly above the hanger fixing is a tapped bush which will take the M5 screws for your rack. It is a very good idea to run the screws into the bushes before you mount the rack (1) to check that the bush is the right size and (2) to clean out any paint that may be on the threads of the bushes.
View attachment 12377 Good luck.
Thanks.

When I tried to screw the bolt in, it went but got stiff at the end, like the thread hadnt been drilled straight. I think a bit of force will get it in though.

Hawk

Veteran
Thanks.

When I tried to screw the bolt in, it went but got stiff at the end, like the thread hadnt been drilled straight. I think a bit of force will get it in though.

Don't force it!!

Clean the hole out, it'll be full of gunk from general cycling.
Then grease the bolt and it should go in pretty easy.

DON'T FORCE IT as you'll just ruin the thread on your frame - fairly non-repairable

PK99

Legendary Member
That is a superb rack though, brilliantly lightweight and I think it's rated for 35kg not 25kg (though my frame's only good for 25kg allegedly)

Read that with a different context in mind - 25kg is indeed a superb rack!

Top Bottom