When flying, deflate tires?

When you fly on an airliner, do you deflate the tires?

• Yes, most or all air taken out

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Yes, just a small amount so the bike is still rideable

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • No, not all all

Votes: 17 81.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

They use nitrogen in aircraft tyres to eliminate moisture, which freezes due to the low temp at high alititude. The ice can throw the tyre/wheel out of balance causing unwanted vibrations on landing. It also helps control temperature, and changes in pressure due to moisture presence too.

Nitrogen also has bigger molecules than oxygen, so tyres containing pure N will deflate slower than those containing air.

All the above just leads to consistency in usage

Last edited by a moderator:

bigjim

Legendary Member
My B I law is a BA captain and says it's nonsense. Not needed in modern planes. I've had at least two bike bags damaged as the handlers have torn them open in order to deflate my tyres. If I box my bike I never deflate the tyres. I've not been asked about them for years by check in.

Last edited:

fatblokish

Guru
Last time I flew I didn't deflate 'em, but someone in the ground drew decided to do this for me. Next time I fly I will deflate them to the point where they feel squishy, in the hope that the ground crew will not deflate them any further to save me the effort of fully pumping them up when I arrive.

Is it expensive to take a bike with you? I always thought it was good value.

Yes it is always good to take your own bike perhaps except a place like Majorca where renting is relatively cheaper and you get good choice.

But airline charge is excessive when compared to what they charge for other similar items. This is specially true for Ryan air.

screenman

Legendary Member
I suppose we have to balance things out a bit, Ryan Air cheap tickets higher other costs, other carrier higher ticket etc.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I heard it's because lower pressure tyres on trucks and tractors can and do explode leading to potentially dangerous bits if tyre flying around the hold. So they make a blanket rule for tyres, rather than a complicated one.
I think that may relate to unpressurised cargo plane holds. passenger jets have pressurised holds so the pressure is more or less the same as at ground level.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If they ask, say that you have and write that on the box.
Nitrogen also has bigger molecules than oxygen,
Unless this is a canard; err, no: N2, O2. Li Be B C N O F Ne.

Edit after @Ffoeg post: See his link.

Last edited:
I'm still holding out for "simple rule". Deflate all tyres on all flights. Done. No confusion, no ambiguity. Only a slight chore at the far end.
Slight chore?

Have you ever seen what a mess a deflated MTB tyre with tubeless sealant makes if it is deflated? The bead pops off, out comes 2l of goop and you have a huge mess. It is impossible to re-inflate at the other end without lots of hands, plenty of cable ties, 16 tyre levers and a 300hp compressor.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I think that may relate to unpressurised cargo plane holds. passenger jets have pressurised holds so the pressure is more or less the same as at ground level.

Yes, the only unpressurised passenger aircraft you are likely to find yourself flying on (to the Outer Hebrides, for instance) are little 19-seaters that you'd never get a bike on anyway.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
They used nitrogen gas in undercarriage tyres as the pressure effect is less than air.

The downside is that they do lose pressure quickly (something like 5% per day IIRC)

At least one air crash has been cause by these defective pressures or air being used instead of Nitrogen

i would be astonished if a single crash has been caused by inflating with air instead of nitrogen. Defective tyres I could believe - but the difference btween 78% nitrogen and 100% nitrogen - don't believe it

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is it expensive to take a bike with you? I always thought it was good value.

It is good value if you avoid the likes of EasyAir/RyanJet.. BA will carry it as part of your luggage allowance; so as long as it (and any other check in luggage) is within your 1 piece/23kg limit then it won't cost you anything.

I voted for no deflation. I have taken my bike to Florida twice. This year it involved 3 flights and two airlines (BA/AA) outbound and 2 flights (both BA) inbound. I took my Tricross which has 28mm tyres at 90 psi, so not exceptionally high pressure. The bike and aircraft both survived, as they have done on several other flights.

Top Bottom