When I Was 17 ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I walked into Halfords and bought myself a Carlton. It was several sizes too big for me at the time, but it was 1978 and mine was a generation where you bought over-sized things and grew into them. What I didn’t realise at the time however was that I’d already finished most of my growing :-).

Anyway, this weekend I dug out my old bike for the first time in 2 years and took it for a quick spin - I'd forgotten just how much bike technology has changed over the last 30+ years. Obviously I prefer my 2012 Italian stallion, but I still have fond memories of this1978 British workhorse that I rode for so many years.
14569557390_e0b249bf9b_c.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Saddle appears to be higher on the newer bike!

OP
OP
JtB

JtB

I lowered the saddle on my old bike for my son at some point and couldn't be bothered to put it back up again.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I walked into Halfords and bought myself a Carlton. It was several sizes too big for me at the time, but it was 1978 and mine was a generation where you bought over-sized things and grew into them. What I didn’t realise at the time however was that I’d already finished most of my growing :-).

Anyway, this weekend I dug out my old bike for the first time in 2 years and took it for a quick spin - I'd forgotten just how much bike technology has changed over the last 30+ years. Obviously I prefer my 2012 Italian stallion, but I still have fond memories of this1978 British workhorse that I rode for so many years.
14569557390_e0b249bf9b_c.jpg
Beautiful looking one owner bike, I for one am jealous. (but where's the Brooks got to)

Reactions: JtB
OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Dont mention the saddle :-(. In years gone by I prioritised the comfort of my back side over the integrity of the bike and changed it for a softer one.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Raleigh shot themselves in the foot when they took over the Carlton brand, downgraded it and finally dropped it. Carlton were serious and respected players in the race frame market (Tom Simpson rode one as an amateur) and had Raleigh marketed it correctly they still would be. Instead they tried to fob serious cyclists off with their own brand frames which did not really catch on. Who wants to spend a fortune on a bike with the same name on the tube as is on a pink kids bike with stabilisers and a basket, let alone the clunker the old man rode to work on.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Who wants to spend a fortune on a bike with the same name on the tube as is on a pink kids bike with stabilisers and a basket, let alone the clunker the old man rode to work on.
Those of us who know :biggrin: plus the Ilkeston ones were top flight also. The modern Raleigh race team did well at last years first Leicester Castle Classic an all.

Top Bottom