When is 10% discount not 10% discount?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Spring Bank week and we spent the week in the Lake District to coincide with my daughters 18th Birthday.She had made a short list of Castles she'd like to visit and Lowther Castle near Penrith was one of them.Long story short we went and I can thoroughly recommend it.
Now to the point of my thread.
When checking the website I noticed on the entrance fee page and the sign as you enter it states "Cyclists of all ages 10% discount"
https://www.lowthercastle.org/to-visit/
On arrival I enquired if you had to actually turn up on a bike to qualify or if you had proof of membership of a CC/BC/CTC etc would it apply?Answer neither.You qualify if you hire one of their bikes.

So surely the sign should and website should read "Cyclists Hiring receive 10% discount" or something similar?

This didn't detract anything from our day and next year my son and I will ride there from Keswick but it would be nice if all cyclists got 10% off?
NB.If in the area or passing through the cafe is well worth a visit :becool:

Last edited:
You are right, I would assume it means that cyclists get 10% discount and if I turned up on a bike it's what I'd expect to get.

icowden

Veteran
The site is clear that all cyclists get a 10% discount. There is no attached condition or disclaimer, so it couldn't be defended.
Realistically though it's 90p.

Even more hilariously, if you click through to buy a ticket, only 4 of those 11 options are available.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Very naughty - I would make a complaint to the ASA!

Another example of a fake offer - my local takeaway offers 'free delivery' (for orders over £8 and within a 3 mile radius) but if you pick up the food yourself, you get a '10% discount' (for orders over £10), so you would really benefit from the delivery offer is for orders costing £8.01 to £9.99 or if it would cost more than £1 for you to get to the shop and back... :whistle:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Writing doesn't come easily to a lot people. What we think we're writing and how it actually reads can be poles apart.

I'm sure they knew which cyclists they were referring to. I'd be inclined to notify them that it is misleading to an outsider.

OP
OP
Sniper68

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
The site is clear that all cyclists get a 10% discount. There is no attached condition or disclaimer, so it couldn't be defended.
Realistically though it's 90p.
Even more hilariously, if you click through to buy a ticket, only 4 of those 11 options are available.
True it's only 90p but if we had turned up on our bikes,3 adults and 1 child that would have been £3.40...which would have covered my sons Sandwich in the cafe:okay: Still not a massive amount but if a family/group turn up on a budget it might make all the difference:becool:
I've sent them an email explaining the way the sign and website come across.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
CalMac ferries once produced a leaflet which somewhere in the small print proclaimed “ cyclist go free”. I picked this up in my annual springtime trawl looking for blunders. What they meant to say of course was “ bicycles go free”. I did argue the point ( not very seriously) but they insisted I buy a ticket. Cost me a whole £1.00 . This I think was the same leaflet that said” travel to Mull and see the squirrels “. There are no squirrels on Mull.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
CalMac ferries once produced a leaflet which somewhere in the small print proclaimed “ cyclist go free”. I picked this up in my annual springtime trawl looking for blunders. What they meant to say of course was “ bicycles go free”. I did argue the point ( not very seriously) but they insisted I buy a ticket. Cost me a whole £1.00 .
Yeah, I had to pay too, and I'm sure that it was much more than £1! :okay:

ColinJ Oban to Mull ferry.jpg

This I think was the same leaflet that said” travel to Mull and see the squirrels “.

"... while you still can!"

Oops, too late! :laugh:

OP
OP
Sniper68

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I've just received this reply and it looks like the member of staff I spoke to on the day got it wrong

Dear Paul,

My apologies. The discount applies to any person who has cycled to Lowther, including people who hire from Arragon’s.

Again, my apologies on this and I will make sure that all staff are clear on the offer.

Kind Regards,

The Staff at Lowther Castle

Top Bottom