When is a cyclist not a cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
Is it when they've just had their only bike stolen?

I'm wondering what to do. I'm hoping I can borrow one from somewhere til I can afford to buy again (payday end of the month) but even then the budget is really tight and I'm loathe to spend money on a stopgap budget bike when the plan was to save and spend bigger later this year on a second better bike or wait for my work probation period to end and join the CTW scheme around May/June.

It's only just happened and my heads all over the place. It was a nice bike. I'm just gutted, it was my only transport, it was how I commute, it was days out and pleasure. Aaargh! Now I have to work out what buses I need to get to work/travel between sites at work/get to the shops/the pub/town/do anything else...I feel lost.

Gutted, incoherent venting session over!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
That's really tough - apart from the inconvenience, you do get rather attached to bikes. I'd be exactly the same if mine got nicked. Did you have the serial number? I wonder if it's worth contacting plod in case it turns up- highly unlikely I know. Sorry to hear this and I hope you get sorted soon.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
You have my sympathy. It's happened to me and I know how rotten you must be feeling. All I can think to say is check any local cash generator type shops.
Hope you get back on two wheels very soon.
Perhaps ask your neighbour where he met this guy. If it was a pub or club then you could check it out. Has your neighbour or anyone he knows that was at his party got any photos of the evening. Perhaps some one caught his dirty theiving little face on their phone camera.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
That's really tough - apart from the inconvenience, you do get rather attached to bikes. I'd be exactly the same if mine got nicked. Did you have the serial number? I wonder if it's worth contacting plod in case it turns up- highly unlikely I know. Sorry to hear this and I hope you get sorted soon.
Cheers, I appreciate your words. I was attached to the thing and thought it would be the commuter for years to come even after I bagged an N+1 (N+1 now = 1). The police have all the details. The frustrating thing is our upstairs neighbour knows the thief but not well enough to give any useful information. Knowing the neighbour and some of the random people he brings back to his flat to 'party' I suspect it's been sold on by now. Our neighbour's a vulnerable bloke and unfortunately his vulnerability knocks on to all the others who live in this block. It's probably not appropriate to say any more about that here.
I'm kicking myself for not being more careful.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
You have my sympathy. It's happened to me and I know how rotten you must be feeling. All I can think to say is check any local cash generator type shops.
Hope you get back on two wheels very soon.
Perhaps ask your neighbour where he met this guy. If it was a pub or club then you could check it out. Has your neighbour or anyone he knows that was at his party got any photos of the evening. Perhaps some one caught his dirty theiving little face on their phone camera.
Thanks again. My neighbour, who is not necessarily reliable, told me where this bloke hangs out (I even have a phone number which my neighbour says is the thief's which I've rung to no avail) he's given a description and I've told the police. I have the chance to walk (the horror!) around some of the likely local places it might get sold tomorrow. I'm doing a bit of research now.

(Deep breath.) There's an even chance I'll be able to borrow something for the next few weeks and at least I've still got my health!

This has just happened to a friend of mine who got a quite expensive bike through the stw scheme. During his first week of ownership he went to his local gym on it, secured it outside with a decent lock and went about his workout but on his return his bike had vanished. He is now still paying for a bike which he no longer has. You have my sympathy and I hope you get yours back. I can only imagine how I would feel if mine was stolen.

Dave

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
Thanks again people, I guess stolen bikes is one of the things most of us have to deal with at one time or another. Unfortunately I'm working this weekend (hence why I've been off thu/fri giving the thief the chance to strike) and won't be able to do much searching for my baby. I might see if my mate can get up to Deptford Market first thing Saturday! I'm just off to look at a couple of second hand shops it might've rocked up in then off to LBS on the off chance there's some kind of single speed contraption within my means.

Linford

Happened to me last year and I'm still without a bike now. I don't want to go and buy something off Ebay cheap with the risk it could be nicked. I'd not want to be perpetuating the market in steal to order. It is crap, and a festering sore if i'm perfectly honest. The worst about it is that it is only getting worse as the scrotes get more lazy and feckless, and the bikes go up in price.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Happened to me last year and I'm still without a bike now. I don't want to go and buy something off Ebay cheap with the risk it could be nicked. I'd not want to be perpetuating the market in steal to order. It is crap, and a festering sore if i'm perfectly honest. The worst about it is that it is only getting worse as the scrotes get more lazy and feckless, and the bikes go up in price.
I'm sure that not every bike on ebay is nicked. You shouldn't right it off completely as a source of a new (to you) bike. If you get a bad feeling about something then avoid it. Of course one can't tell for sure if it is a legitimate sale but you can get an idea.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
I got my last one off ebay but it had the original sales ticket and service history with it. Just been round a few local second hand shops and left my details but no joy.

One tip I got was Nine Elms Market sunday market in Vauxhall...apparently the police have cracked down on Brick Lane and a lot of dodgy dealers/bike gangs have moved there instead. Pretty handy with knives was the warning. From what my neighbour was able to tell me the suspect hangs around Vauxhall as well...

Ethan

I'm sure that not every bike on ebay is nicked. You shouldn't right it off completely as a source of a new (to you) bike. If you get a bad feeling about something then avoid it. Of course one can't tell for sure if it is a legitimate sale but you can get an idea.

Good advice that.
Its pretty evident when a bike is stolen, in general elderly well presented blocks from charming villages (where I got my bike from, after buying it through ebay!) dont go around nicking bikes.

General rule of thumb for me is to ask as many questions as possible about the bike. Even strange things like what innertubes does it have, if they can answer then its probably legit. If they are genuine I don't think they'd have much of a problem with you having a quick look to make sure either.

Dont rule out ebay because A small few use it to sell stolen goods!

shoot news OP. I genuinely feel for you! I hope you get it back.
I'd be gutted if I lost my bike, you really do become attached to them! Good luck mate.

WorcesteRob

Über Member
Gutted for you mate! My worst nightmare is getting my bike stolen, it's not worth much and over 10 years old but very much loved and a great commute! Probably not making you feel any better but I can imagine what you are going through.

OP
OP
RedRider

RedRider

Pulling through
I'm pretty lucky really, I just went and splashed the rest of my monthly budget on a new bike. Who needs food? Picking it up on Monday so I'll just have to walk til then. :thumbsup:

(I wonder how long before I can pass a Flight without checking for a small dint in it's top tube?)

Dunlopdave

Hi
I'm new to eBay so don't know much about it why don't sellers on the site have to give the frame number on the advertisement . Sorry for your loss hope you find it!!!!

Top Bottom