When is a wheel beyond hope?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just taken a wheel out of a bike to straighten it and it looks like a Salvador Dali painting. I tried loosening all the spokes and re-tightening but I couldn't pull the wheel back into shape when I tightened them. The rim is barely worn, just bent, and the hub is good quality. Is there a way to straighten it or is it not worth the effort?

Jameshow

Veteran
How about a gentle tug whilst in a workmate or even whilst down a drain slot.

This strikes me as a learning moment! ^_^

I had my pringle-esque wheel straightened on a block of wood by jumping up and down on it! Then the spokes were tightened and the wheel trued. If it wasn't for a couple of rim gouges (from a drain) and a dead Son hub I'd have been happy to continue to use it.

I reckon YouTube will have some suggestions. Give it a go and see what happens! The worst is that a bent wheel is binned, the best is another string to your bow.

Good luck!

When you say worth the effort, are you charging for your time?

I have straightened rims by stamping on them. You haven't anything to lose if it's for you but if it's for someone who will come back next week if it goes wrong maybe better to get a new rim.

When you say worth the effort, are you charging for your time?

I have straightened rims by stamping on them. You haven't anything to lose if it's for you but if it's for someone who will come back next week if it goes wrong maybe better to get a new rim.

Fair comment. This is for a private project: Middle Son needs a bike, otherwise I'd be looking for/ordering another wheel.

How about a gentle tug whilst in a workmate or even whilst down a drain slot.

This strikes me as a learning moment! ^_^

I had my pringle-esque wheel straightened on a block of wood by jumping up and down on it! Then the spokes were tightened and the wheel trued. If it wasn't for a couple of rim gouges (from a drain) and a dead Son hub I'd have been happy to continue to use it.

I reckon YouTube will have some suggestions. Give it a go and see what happens! The worst is that a bent wheel is binned, the best is another string to your bow.

Good luck!

Hmm, looks like a workbench and/or a couple of bits of wood will be the answer: will have a go tomorrow...

Big John

Guru
I had one from work the other week that genuinely looked like a Pringle. I told the boss I enjoyed a challenge and we had nothing to lose if I had a go. I removed all the spokes and lay the rim on flat concrete to see how bent the wheel was. Each rim I guess will have its own quirks but I could see this one might straighten out if I balanced it across a strong piece of wood and stood on the two sides of the rim. After a few attempts it began to flatten enough for me to rebuild it and try to true it up. The end result wasn't perfect but good enough for us to use. It's not a five minute job but I enjoyed making something useful out of something that would otherwise have been thrown away. Bear in mind, Andy, that I'm retired and have the time to spare. Even if you can't use the rim you can find a use for the spokes (if they're stainless steel) and the hub. You know by now that very little in our business goes to waste 😉

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
As ever - https://www.sheldonbrown.com/on-road-wheel-repairs.html
You might not get it perfectly true, but perhaps useable.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
If it has any sharp kinks in it then it's more than likely beyond repair.
Gentle curves can be trued.
As others have said loosen or remove the spokes, get it bent back into shape and rebuild the wheel.
You can use the bike forks as a truing stand if you don't have one, tie wraps make good pointer/indicators.

If the rim is beyond repair you can replace it and use the existing spokes & hub, that 'should' be cheaper than buying a new complete wheel.
Try to get middle son involved in the repair, he might like it.
HTH
Good luck

Top Bottom