When is it going to stop... Raining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
So boring now isn't it! Kids play area is flooded, half the park is a bog. Can't keep the hall clean from muddy footprints and pram wheels.

I think cars are about twice as loud in the rain, and they're more numerous, so even a walk to the shops is a bit miserable.

Hopefully all the rain will wash the main road near here clean

It has been covered in mud for months due to the ongoing (for about 8-9years!!) work on the old golf course
they run a brushy road cleaner thingy over it when someone moans - which just leaves two wet strips down the road - like spitting on a raging inferno!!

But I suppose the drains will block due to the mud and stones and we will end up with a massive muddy puddle near McDonalds

tom73

Guru
On a serious note i've a mate quiet senior in the Met office who like most of them. Feeds his work into the MO wider work on climate change. He keeps me up to date with what they are working on and how the modelling is going. It's getting worse every time he chats to me. To say they are very concerned on how it's all looking is an understatement.

Brandane

Legendary Member
On a serious note i've a mate quiet senior in the Met office who like most of them. Feeds his work into the MO wider work on climate change. He keeps me up to date with what they are working on and how the modelling is going. It's getting worse every time he chats to me. To say they are very concerned on how it's all looking is an understatement.

Yes I get the impression they are keeping much of it quiet from the general public. Otherwise we would all be jumping in small boats to get across the channel and start walking south..... (no politics intended or wanted!).

I'm as guilty as anyone for moaning about the weather, but for sure it's better than Thailand right now in the hot season.
They have 3 seasons - hot, hotter and hottest. Here it feels like wet, wetter and wettest :laugh:

tom73

Guru
Yes I get the impression they are keeping much of it quiet from the general public. Otherwise we would all be jumping in small boats to get across the channel and start walking south..... (no politics intended or wanted!).

It's small bit to do with it they have to time it right when they publish reports. The concern is that it would be miss used and feed a growing trend of people who have just given up on trying to fix it. Just at a time when more are seeing it's time to do something. The other thing they are all too aware of his how things get reported.

Slick

Guru
They say March was the hottest on record, but its honestly a tough gig convincing anyone up here that's a bad thing. :cold:

Lots more rain forecasted here for the remainder of the week, and whilst obviously showers should be expected, this continual downpour is tedious to say the least.

I do remember a mate of mine who was planning renovating his house that involved taking the entire roof off and adding attic trusses. H8s birthday was beginning of April and he planned to do the job that week as it never rains that week. He was spot on, it was glorious and he replaced his entire roof in perfect sunshine.

I bet he wouldn't do it in April now.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hosepipe bans this summer, though, I guess 😕

All the water just drains away into the streams and rivers, or floods the fields and is lost. Very few reservoirs to store the excess.
It's been raining all day here, we might get a few hours respite tomorrow before it starts again. :rain: :rain:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Doomed I tell ye...

According to provisional figures from the Met Office, 1,695.9mm of rain fell from October 2022 to March 2024. This is the highest amount of rain for any 18-month period in England since the organisation began collecting comparable data back in 1836.

March was also the 10th consecutive warmest month on record. India had a heatwave which hasn’t ended yet…

straas

Matt
Vans in the garage so had an unenviable 4 mile round trip walk to the dog shop for food.

Looking for my goretex trainers and found them outside, full to the brim with rainwater, joy.

Back now with a new set of socks and a mug of chai

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
At least no floods encountered on today’s ride. Even if it was nice weather for ducks.

IMG_0583.jpeg

Top Bottom