When is it right to ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bike_Me

Before I continue, please note that this is a slight rant, and in exempt for this one occassion, do not support this sort of behaviour.

...push someone off their bike because of lack of due care and recklessness.

Ok, I agree it isn't right to act in such manner, but surly if a cyclist feels as though they have the right to hit a car if they believe they've been wronged by a vehicle who has put them in danger, then would that mean a pedestrian has the right to do the same to an idiotic cyclist?

Before passing judgement please let me explain.

This morning on my way to work, I was crossing the street through 2 way single lane traffic. There was traffic banked up heading West, and no traffic heading East. As I've worked in the area for a couple of months, I know that the area has alot of cyclists during peak hour, so I've always looked twice to double check for oncoming cyclists. As I passed through the traffic heading West, I was walking on the painted median strip, my attention was diverted on the vehicles heading East. As there was no oncoming traffic I thought it was safe to cross. However, it turned out, there was a Douche Bag of cyclist heading West, who thought it was appropriate to cycle on the wrong side the road, crossing my path and almost knocking me over. At first, I was quite surprised and alarmed, but then quickly wished I had nudged the idiot for his reckless behaviour.

I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, but in this instance, I wouldn't have cared and would've been happy to teach this cyclist some care for pedestrians for the future.

End rant.

cd365

Guru
Clothes line.

Reactions: 4F

ohnovino

Large Member
Ok, I agree it isn't right to act in such manner, but surly if a cyclist feels as though they have the right to hit a car if they believe they've been wronged by a vehicle who has put them in danger, then would that mean a pedestrian has the right to do the same to an idiotic cyclist?

You think hitting the side of a metal car is equivalent to assaulting someone? :banghead:

Reactions: gaz

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Reminds me of a time when I was cycling a shared path. One of a group of youths walking the other way thought it would be a laugh to push me off my bike as I went past. It fell a bit flat when I failed to fall off.

It was a good laugh for his mates, though, when I turned around, came up behind them and gave him a good shove. Poor lad dropped his coke.

OP
OP
B

Bike_Me

Reminds me of a time when I was cycling a shared path. One of a group of youths walking the other way thought it would be a laugh to push me off my bike as I went past. It fell a bit flat when I failed to fall off.

This I don't condone, and believe you had every right to do so.

Its a pet peeve of mine when someone does something reckless and puts someone else in danger, and without any word or acknowledgement amd continues on like nothing happened.

ayceejay

Guru
You did the right thing:
1) had the thought = normal
2) didn't act on the thought = civilized behaviour.
In one of Raold Dahl's books his character has a jam gun. I always thought this would be useful (and harmless) for when someone behaves like this cyclist, imagine all those cars (and white vans) with red jam stuck to the side.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
So he was overtaking stopped traffic by cycling on the other side of the road? That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. You walked between two stopped cars and sort of into his path without looking and feel aggrieved that he nearly hit you? I'm now looking for the other thread entitled "when is it ok to hit pedestrians who step into moving traffic without looking" :smile:

OP
OP
B

Bike_Me

So he was overtaking stopped traffic by cycling on the other side of the road? That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. You walked between two stopped cars and sort of into his path without looking and feel aggrieved that he nearly hit you? I'm now looking for the other thread entitled "when is it ok to hit pedestrians who step into moving traffic without looking" :smile:

Sorry JDog, but I think you have the wrong picture. I was standing on a painted median strip, about to cross a clear lane, I wasn't obstructing traffic. The cyclist was on the wrong side of the median strip, cycling towards ongoing traffic. I wouldn't say he was in the right, especially when theres a cycle lane available.

Kookas

Über Member
If a cyclist is riding in a threatening or intimidating manner and you hit him for it, you'll definitely get my support. I would call it self-defence.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a problem with pavement cyclists. If they're giving way to pedestrians and riding at a speed that allows them to observe and take action accordingly then fair enough,but the number of times i've walked onto the pavement from my house having to step back while some inconsiderate git flys past at speed grrr!!!:angry: Unfortunately there are more bad bike users(i wouldn't call them cyclists)than considerate cyclists!

D

Deleted member 20519

Hitting a person and hitting a car are two entirely different things.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
It would be perfectly acceptable for a pedestrian of cyclist to feel they have the right to lash out if wronged. This does not however give them the right or make it acceptable for them to do so.

Top Bottom