When is it right to ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I don't think it (to push a person off a bike) is acceptable under any circumstances. In your case, the possible repercussions of doing so, far outweighed the initial, minor, trangression.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
However satisfying the thought might be, broken bones are not a laughing matter. You can never predict just how these things may turn out, and you could seriously injure someone, then end up on the wrong side of the law with a criminal conviction for assault or worse. It doesn't take much of a fall to break a clavicle or wrist....(speaks from painful experience).

snailracer

Über Member
Sorry JDog, but I think you have the wrong picture. I was standing on a painted median strip, about to cross a clear lane, I wasn't obstructing traffic. The cyclist was on the wrong side of the median strip, cycling towards ongoing traffic. I wouldn't say he was in the right, especially when theres a cycle lane available.
Whether the cyclist's position was legitimate depends on how the median strip was painted i.e. solid or dashed edges.
The green cross code says you should look both ways as you are crossing, it makes no assumptions that pedestrians OR road users know about whether lines are solid or dotted.
In any case, slapping a car is not the same as smacking a cyclist - a motorist in a car is hardly going to fall off and injure themselves.

Top Bottom