When is it to windy to cycle ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
When it's so windy you can't make forward progress is when I throw in the towel.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have been laid up this week with a elbow injury. however last night in my area there were recorded winds of 74 mph.
On my way home in the car the thought struck me that if I had come in on the bike how would i get home ?
When is it to windy to cycle ,what wind speed would you not consider cycling ?

When its too windy too stand up.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
When the Forth Road Bridge is closed to high sided vehicles, trailers, caravans and motorbikes :biggrin:. No choice really when that occurs, it is possible to cadge a lift over from the bridge staff but it is not a given! Besides when it is that windy on the roads only an idiot would go out and risk themselves being hit by a vehicle by gusts of wind!

Dan_h

Cycled my new commute home across the Chilterns last week in 50mph gusts (according to the met office), sure there were some hairy moments on the higher and more exposed part of the route but in general it was manageable. Kind of tiring when you need to keep pedaling going down hill but it is amazing how bad the weather needs to be before you really can't ride in it if you are determined enough.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Never too bad in central London but I've been whipped across entire width of a Scottish A road between Inverness and Carbisdale Castle by a sudden gust - lucky nothing coming other way.

And then there was the occasion circa 1988 riding down Glencoe from Rannoch Moor towards Ballachulish pedalling all the way in low gear.

If I don't cycle, then I have no transport. Last week I cycled Tuesday through to Friday, plus Sunday. Thursday was by far the worst day here - on one (slight) downhill section which was directly into the headwind, I could not hold 9mph downhill and having to cycle downhill is just not fair in my book.
Coming home along that section going uphill with the tailwind I was easily holding 20mph despite having not had lunch (and I'm not good when I miss food). For once, and it has been the only time, going home was much quicker than getting there. Other than finding it more tiring, I have found that (assuming you make yourself visible to motorists) motorists are generally more accommodating in bad weather than they are normally, but they have to be able to see you.

I have (or at least tried to) cycled in conditions where at times I could not stay on the bike, where I could not actually keep a fully laden bike on the road (but not quite like that video - great but as my husband would say, those bikes clearly don't weigh enough!) - we had no choice but to carry on that day on tour (exposure was a serious concern, the only time I have considered sleeping the night in a public toilet). I look back at our 12 month tour and I know without a doubt that they were the 2 hardest days - when you can't actually keep the bike on a 2 lane road, you know it is time to quit cycling and take a few days off.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
We went on an informal forum ride on Sunday morning and ended up hitting 58mph headwinds, which is the worst I've ever experienced. The folk with gears struggled a bit, the chap on a fixie nearly imploded. We usually average a nice comfortable 16mph but were reduced to walking speed for most of the journey home.

Full ride report...

Top Bottom