When is it to windy to cycle ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have been laid up this week with a elbow injury. however last night in my area there were recorded winds of 74 mph.
On my way home in the car the thought struck me that if I had come in on the bike how would i get home ?
When is it to windy to cycle ,what wind speed would you not consider cycling ?

jarlrmai

Veteran
Gusty crosswinds are the most dangerous.

Wind speed is a hard one to judge it's more about the gusts, 74 is clearly don't go on the roads time, 20-30 is dangerous on exposed roads with traffic.

Head/Tail winds are annoying/fun but can also place you in danger.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Gusty crosswinds are the most dangerous.

Wind speed is a hard one to judge it's more about the gusts, 74 is clearly don't go on the roads time, 20-30 is dangerous on exposed roads with traffic.

Head/Tail winds are annoying/fun but can also place you in danger.

I'd almost never get to cycle in winter if I avoided days with winds over 20mph.

Cycling in windy conditions needs more care and less speed, but as long as you aren't likely to get blown off physically by a gust then it is manageable (if not always fun). I cycled over the Cairnwell Pass into winds well over 60mph with 4 sails panniers and my commuting record was a gust recorded by our site weather station at 79mph (from about 2 o'clock so blowing me towards the verge not the cars).

I'd prefer a quiet day some time soon though please? :smile:

Reactions: gaz

akb

Veteran
Quite a bit of my route is next to a river, so that combined with darkness and wind isn't a good mix. The last few weeks has been quite hairy at times he to the wind. The met office said 40mph gusts, any more and I would have bothered purely for my own safety.

e-rider

crappy member
I cycled in gusts up to 80mph in Scotland - it was very dangerous indeed. I'd say if it's 30+ mph then stay at home if you can

Hip Priest

Veteran
Use common sense. I didn't use my common sense one time last year and got blown literally from one side of the road to the other by a surprise gust. Luckily there were no other vehicles about!

This week.

Part of the shed blew off and hit me on the head as I was opening up to get the bike out.

Things flying at my head are what convinces me to sit in the steel cage I park outside

Voice of unreason here: I cycle all the time, so there are days when I'm out in very strong winds. Fortunately I commute on relatively quiet country roads. Last winter, I was blown to a standstill on flat parts of my commute by 60-70mph headwinds. If there's a risk of getting blown across the road I get off and walk for a bit. I just try and hold my own when the gusts are strong and make headway when they drop a little. It can be quite exhilarating.

Everyone to their own, however.:smile:

BenM

Veteran
I thought I would cycle in any weather, however this week I found that, on the 'bent at least, force 7 gusting 9 is about my limit of nerve/stability. I suspect I would risk higher winds on the Marin Halifax, but on a 'bent your lever over the centre of gravity is not great so reaction to gusts is difficult to say the least!

Top Bottom