When is Wear and Tear a get out.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I bought a Scott Cr1 10 from Evans Cycles back in Jan, but didn't actually use it until April (had to buy in Jan before the wife changed her mind and spent it on a holiday).

Its now July and last week i noticed the head set was very notchy and the bars were self centring as if stuck in a groove, i know from years on Motorbikes that when the head set does this its usually worn bearings.

So i have taken it back today and told them this must be under warranty as ive only being using it for four months, and done according to Garmin 821miles and 65,840ft of climbing.

In my opinion there is no way this is wear and tear as they are trying to put it down to, as in the warranty bearings , chains etc are not covered, but surely after 821miles and needing replacing they were faulty, i would expect at least 5-10years from a head set bearing

Anyone else had this happen.

U

User6179

I would expect 10000 miles plus from a headset bearing but me and my m8 bought the exact same bike and his went after a couple of thousand miles and I put it down to him turning his bike upside down and washing it with washing up liquid which I think degreased the bearings , you could see the grease marks on the frame , mine was still fine at 8000 when I had the frame warranted , new frame and bearings at about 7000 miles and still fine.

A new bearing costs about a fiver , take it out and the size/ code should be on the side of it .

I he one bike shop tell me that a strap coming unattached from the anchoring point on a helmet after 1 hours use was fair wear and tear!

gbb

Legendary Member
Disassemble, put plenty of grease in the bearing, re-assemble. It'll probably be fine.
I did this with a rusty, water ingressed headset bearing on an old Raleigh, it displayed the same symptoms, it was fine once i'd greased it.
The problem is, they only get a lick of grease at the factory.

TBF, the mileage you're quoting is very low, but the protection on headset bearings is lower than you'd think. My previous Bianchi got very wet one ride, a few weeks later i stripped it for another reason..and was amazed to see corrosion round the bearings.

Personally, i wouldnt assume a headset bearing is bullet proof, some may be better than others, some frame typre may give better protection to the bearings within, but i always try to strip my bike anually and grease everything, apply antisieze to threads etc etc.
I'd be dissapointed in your place Diddly, but in some ways, i'm not surprised. Nothings made like it used to be.

OP
OP
DiddlyDodds

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Went to collect the bike today armed with why i should not have to pay a penny for the replacement bearing etc, only to be given the bike , a bag of knackered bearing and a bill for £0.00.

The bearing was truly knackered , in bits , pitted and rusty.

I know ive not jet washed it , and kept it in a dry place so no idea how its got so bad in 6 months, i can only think its lack of grease as @gbb says, and a trip from the far east on a boat inside a container that may have had a lot of humidity in it. (wild guess)

Chris Mafitaly

Regular
I bought a Scott Cr1 10 from Evans Cycles back in Jan, but didn't actually use it until April (had to buy in Jan before the wife changed her mind and spent it on a holiday).

Its now July and last week i noticed the head set was very notchy and the bars were self centring as if stuck in a groove, i know from years on Motorbikes that when the head set does this its usually worn bearings.

So i have taken it back today and told them this must be under warranty as ive only being using it for four months, and done according to Garmin 821miles and 65,840ft of climbing.

In my opinion there is no way this is wear and tear as they are trying to put it down to, as in the warranty bearings , chains etc are not covered, but surely after 821miles and needing replacing they were faulty, i would expect at least 5-10years from a head set bearing

Anyone else had this happen.
I have also bought a CR1 from Evans back in Dec 2013 and have had the exact experience (i had covered about 2000 miles) except that because i am a reasonable person i bought the new bearings which Evans fitted for free. (Bought them from Evans) Hearing this now i wish i hadn't bought the bearings which cost £27.00. I also reported to them that on the turn of the right pedal there is a click, they have done something but after riding another 2000 miles it still isn't right. After hearing your story i am now going to take the bike back and will not let it rest until it is put right for free!!!!

Top Bottom