When kids crash on their bikes....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We got 12 miles into the school C2C ride yesterday when Gti Junior's bottle jumped out of his cage, distracting him on a fast, steep, wet downhill corner under trees. Nobody actually saw what happened but the rider at the back of the group, a qualified nurse and a family friend, came across him unconscious on the verge with the bike on top of him and a lot of blood around his face. One of the kids told me they had seen him crash so I shot back up the hill to find him just coming round, very confused. Ambulance took us to Carlisle hospital where the wonderful Casualty staff sorted him out and took scans and X rays. The result: badly bruised jaw, lots of abrasions and a small fracture of the cheek bone. During the two hour drive home late last night he was sick and this morning he is asleep and seems OK.

I found the bottle ten feet away on the top of the verge. A local farmer looked after our bikes, his is badly smashed up but I'm hoping it's just the bars and a brake that need re-setting and the front wheel straightening. Will wash off all the mud later and check. His head left a two-foot scar in the mud and the helmet is clogged with mud and abraded and his riding glasses covered in mud and blood but look to have taken some impact and protected his right eye, which is badly bruised.

What a terrible shock, my eyes are filling up as I type this; there's nothing worse than finding your child covered in mud and blood by the roadside.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Ah mate, all the best to your young un. Get well soon Gti Jr.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Wow Giobalti... hope he's soon up and racing round as usual.

It's a n incredible shock: took Miss A_T quad biking when she was about 12. We all set off at a steady pace round the circuit but we got split up. I came round the corner to see her still and unconscious with the quad bike upside down off the track over some straw bales. A marshall was checking her airway and breathing. I'll never forget that image... she was OK thank goodness. Glad Gti Junior is OK.

compo

Veteran
Must have been a hell of a shock for you and I am glad your young'un isn't too badly hurt.

Knowing the resilience of youngsters, give it a day or two and he will be boasting to his friends what an artistic dismount he performed!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Since I typed that he's appeared and slurped his way though a bowl of Weetabix and Rice Crispies, looking better than I expected but saying he aches all over.

It's legging down with rain here so I'm not too bothered about missing the C2C...

Sandra6

Veteran
Poor lad -and what a shock for you. Pleased to hear he's brighter this morning.
I didn't see my eldest boys bmx related face plant, but felt sick when I got to A&E and saw the mess of him.
Carlisle hospital can be excellent, or shockingly bad, so you were lucky you went on a good staff day.
Get well soon gti junior

Night Train

Maker of Things
:ohmy:
I hope he gets better soon and without any problems.
A really scary thing to see in any case never mind when it is one of your own.
Hopefully a bit of pampering will see him right and he will back on the bike with confidence.:smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Must have been a hell of a shock for you and I am glad your young'un isn't too badly hurt.

Knowing the resilience of youngsters, give it a day or two and he will be boasting to his friends what an artistic dismount he performed!

So true !
As all 4 of mine have proved over the past 18 years .... children bounce !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
He will be fine - another cyclist in the making ! He'll be showing off the cuts and bruises just like Dad does. :thumbsup:

Just keep an eye on him as being sick points to concussion (had that a few times myself).

Must say, helmets are a must for kids - the number of times my lad has had silly falls and head butted a curb (helmet on).

Really glad to hear he's OK. Makes my heart skip a beat to read stuff like that. I've seen my two hurt themselves often enough to know the feelings and thoughts that run through you when it happens.

Top Bottom