When packing for a tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tombo 707

Get yourself a travel towel from wiggle. Compact and lightweight and fast drying.

A large towel - sits over the rear panniers on dry days and goes into a large plastic bag on wet days - generally bought on first day off plane to be disposed off on last day - My cuboard is full of towels I have not had the heart to throw - everytime I have a shower or go to the gym I am reminded of a different tour

rualexander

Legendary Member
I have always used a Norwegian Army Shirt with the sleeves cut off. It is 100% cotton and the inner surface is towelling. It doesn't take up too much space, is an effective towel (more so than any of the travel towels I have tried), and can be worn as a sleeveless top for extra warmth on a cool morning or about camp. If its still damp from your previous days shower it soon dries out while cycling.
Having a quick Google it seems the price range to be £10-£20 these days.

stewie griffin

Über Member
I use a synthetic cloth from the household cleaning products area of the local supermarket, its about 50cm square & drys me really well, then drys out quickly tied to the rack.
Best bit is when you compare it to some expensive towels from "adventure" suppliers & find its the same thing! :rolleyes: Maybe not as pretty though.

snorri

Legendary Member
Here is a write-up on these pertex towels:smile:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Miscellaneous-All-the-rest/Snugpak-Pertex-Shower-Towel.html

You don't quite get the same comfort as you would from a warmed fleecy cotton towel:biggrin: ,but they do the job.

tourdottk

We are using Fine-Well sportstowels from Rubytec. It's a Dutch brand. But any sports or outdoor brand will stock towels like this (like Sea to Summit for example). Light weight, dries quickly, different sizes, no nasty smells. We've had ours for more than 5 years (and used a lot, see our trip :-)
Cheers, Aaldrik

jay clock

Massive member
I have a travel towel and they are ok. I also have a tiny one I got given at XMas and it is about 35x35cm - ideal as a prelim to dry the main bits to avoid getting the large one too wet. I also have a very cheap large thin beach towel which is excellent too, but for my only camping tour I decided on the travel towel

CycleTourer

Veteran
rich p said:

A second for the Lifeventure soft fibre towels, by far the best we have used. Much better than the pertex ones which don't absorb that well and feel like you are rubbing a bit of plastic on your skin where as the lifeventure ones feel more like a soft towel. Some of the synthetic felt type ones can hum a bit after a few days, the lifeventure ones dry quicker and suffer less from this problem.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
agree..those lifeadventure towels rock (..erm...I mean as far as towel can 'rock':laugh:)...I have one....it drys you quickly, packs down well, weighs zilch and drys out pretty quickly if you leave it hanging on the bike as you ride or over your sleeping bag....defo a must have shower block accessory:laugh:

hubbike

It occurs to me that all a towel does is transfer water from you to it. Why bother? If you are on tour somewhere hot just shake the water off, and then sunbathe for a few minutes to dry off. otherwise just shove some clothes on, you'll soon dry out as you get moving.

If you stay somewhere with bedsheets, use them.

Top Bottom