Bright (?) ideas for reducing weight or volume when packing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm off on a trip tomorrow and got to thinking about improving my packing. Here are two brilliant ideas.

1 I've been carrying a hefty chain and lock. Now I'm thinking of using a spare 9 speed chain with a padlock. That way I have a spare chain if I need it.

2 My spare clothes are voluminous, but light. I'd like to be able to vacuum pack them using my bicycle pump. We do something similar with spare quilts and the vacuum cleaner at home.

Please share your brilliant ideas.

I'm off on a trip tomorrow and got to thinking about improving my packing. Here are two brilliant ideas.

1 I've been carrying a hefty chain and lock. Now I'm thinking of using a spare 9 speed chain with a padlock. That way I have a spare chain if I need it.

2 My spare clothes are voluminous, but light. I'd like to be able to vacuum pack them using my bicycle pump. We do something similar with spare quilts and the vacuum cleaner at home.

I don't want to be negative but......
My bright idea (once!) before heading off on a trip was to raise my saddle to give myself more power! ^_^
A few days in and I had damaged the tendons in my ankles leading to terrible swelling and pain that lasted a couple of weeks!
I also decided, last minute, to drop my front panniers. That was dumb idea, a bought a couple of cheapy ones en route and still had to have my own ones shipped ahead.

Beware of the excitement an imminent departure can have! ^_^

I'm a fan of the "unusual" for locking a bike but I would be concerned at what protection a chain gives especially if there's a chain breaker on a multitool somewhere on the bike. I'd also be concerned that some vandal would easily bend my chain to make it less than useful. Perhaps even giving him the idea of doing the same to my real chain to hold me up while he goes off to get a chainbreaker himself!

I think you're going to NL? There's seriously efficient bike thieves there! I wouldn't suggest it as a place for testing out a new lock.

The vacuum pack is a great idea - until you open it. Do you have something to revac pack? If not, will your unvacced gear fit?

Sorry.

Despite my negativity, have a great trip!

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I don't want to be negative but......
My bright idea (once!) before heading off on a trip was to raise my saddle to give myself more power! ^_^
A few days in and I had damaged the tendons in my ankles leading to terrible swelling and pain that lasted a couple of weeks!
I also decided, last minute, to drop my front panniers. That was dumb idea, a bought a couple of cheapy ones en route and still had to have my own ones shipped ahead.

Beware of the excitement an imminent departure can have! ^_^

I'm a fan of the "unusual" for locking a bike but I would be concerned at what protection a chain gives especially if there's a chain breaker on a multitool somewhere on the bike. I'd also be concerned that some vandal would easily bend my chain to make it less than useful. Perhaps even giving him the idea of doing the same to my real chain to hold me up while he goes off to get a chainbreaker himself!

I think you're going to NL? There's seriously efficient bike thieves there! I wouldn't suggest it as a place for testing out a new lock.

The vacuum pack is a great idea - until you open it. Do you have something to revac pack? If not, will your unvacced gear fit?

Sorry.

Despite my negativity, have a great trip!

Thanks @HobbesOnTour .

I was less than serious in my post. ^_^

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Empty your water bottle and only fill it up when you need a drink.

presta

Guru
My spare clothes are voluminous, but light. I'd like to be able to vacuum pack them using my bicycle pump. We do something similar with spare quilts and the vacuum cleaner at home.
The way to reduce the volume of clothes to a minimum is to roll them, tightly, not fold them, and if you pack the rolls vertically they're easier to ram into the pannier tightly. Packing vertically instead of in horizontal layers also means you can get to them all at once instead of digging down to the bottom. For bulky items like the fleece jacket I use a compression strap to keep them rolled tightly. I use zip-off trousers so that I don't need separate shorts & longs.

OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
The way to reduce the volume of clothes to a minimum is to roll them, tightly, not fold them, and if you pack the rolls vertically they're easier to ram into the pannier tightly. Packing vertically instead of in horizontal layers also means you can get to them all at once instead of digging down to the bottom. For bulky items like the fleece jacket I use a compression strap to keep them rolled tightly. I use zip-off trousers so that I don't need separate shorts & longs.

Thank you for that!

classic33

Leg End Member
Ortleib panniers are completely airtight as well as waterproof.

So just take a small helium bottle with you, and pressurise them every morning - the buoyancy will reduce your net weight.
Assuming he'll be using Ortleib panniers, I see one small problem with your plan.

ExBrit

Über Member

Ziploc bag for toiletries, zip loc for tools, and first aid, and critical documents, and more zip locs because they're useful, light, and take up no space when not being used.
Two small bungee cords for lashing stuff to the outside of your gear.
Small roll of gorilla tape.
Pack less than you think you need.
Try to make sure everything you take has at least two functions. eg cycling gear that could be used for casual and vice versa
SPD pedals and shoes with recessed cleats so you don't need to take extra shoes just for for walking around.
Take lot's of video and photos
Have fun
Tell us all about it when you get back

Top Bottom