When someone parks THIER car on YOUR drive...what can you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I am also enjoying reading the thread. I am still none the wiser as to what I would be legally allowed to do!
Apparently, it's something along the lines of 'damage the vehicle and leave a note on it purporting to be from a disinterested party'.
Well, thats what has been advocated by a member with previous experience of law enforcement......so who are we to argue?

AndyRM

XOXO
I am also enjoying reading the thread. I am still none the wiser as to what I would be legally allowed to do!

Need to book some time with Spen to find out. Probably won't come cheap.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You are repeatedly making false legal clainsand giving inaccurate legal statements

Funny you now claim to be summarising a radio program. Strangely you never once said you were quotinf or summarising a radio programme.

Even stranger how you repeatedly responded to specific statements I made. It's incredibly coincidental that every statement I made was dealt with on this fictitious radio programme you have suddenly remembered you were apparently summarising.

If you know nothing about the correct legal position then don't give legal advice

Perhaps you could enlighten us on the legal aspects.

snorri

Legendary Member
Have you checked to see if the registration plate is for that vehicle. If it isn't I'm sure the authorities might be interested and may take the vehicle away for you.
.........and if it has the right plates then take them off and nip down to your local auto distributors and buy a couple of cheapo plates with a likely reg and screw them on, that should make the authorities jump.
I would never do that but my post seems in line with most of the other suggestions on this thread:whistle:.

midlife

Guru
Erm

I am sure you are guessing and know very little about the law

Where are the Reasonable grounds to suspect an offence? - these are needed before a police officer can arrest someone

So if police haven't examined car to see if there is damage, then they have no power of arrest. Even then, they can only use the power of arrest when it is necessary. Explain how your approach is lawful in the light of the following?

Hanningfield v. Chief Constable of Essex Police [2013] EWHC 243 (QB)
Richardson v. Chief Constable of West Midlands Police [2011] EWHC 773 (QB) and
Hayes v. Chief Constable of Merseyside Constabulary [2011] EWCA Civ 911

Ok it was just a wild guess that plod can arrest someone on suspicion of an offence.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You are repeatedly making false legal clainsand giving inaccurate legal statements

Funny you now claim to be summarising a radio program. Strangely you never once said you were quotinf or summarising a radio programme.

Even stranger how you repeatedly responded to specific statements I made. It's incredibly coincidental that every statement I made was dealt with on this fictitious radio programme you have suddenly remembered you were apparently summarising.

If you know nothing about the correct legal position then don't give legal advice
Have you read the OP?

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
You mean the bit where the poor OP said "Just caught the tail end of a radio phone in"? You'd think he'd have an eye for detail, being in the law, right?

spen666

Legendary Member
Have you read the OP?
Yes, but I am referring to the barrack room lawyers responses to my posts which have nothing to do with any radio programme until the poster decided yesterday his responses to Me were apparently him summarising the radio programme

Last edited:

spen666

Legendary Member
Ok it was just a wild guess that plod can arrest someone on suspicion of an offence.
The suspicion has to be reasonable and if the police have not examined the car to establish if there is any damage, then how can the suspicion be reasonable?

Then there is the issue raised in the 3 cases I cite. Unless that issue is dealt with any arrest would be unlawful

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I arrived at my Mother's a few years ago to find one of the neighbours had parked in her drive (they had 5 cars and one driveway space). They were apt to invite themselves and their friends to use it at their leisure and had never asked permission. So I just parked across the back of it.
A while later a sheepish neighbour appeared at the door and asked me to move my car as 'I was blocking him in'.
20 minutes later when I'd finished my cuppa I moved it. All nice and passive but the point was made.

It was normal for them to park in any drive on the street they saw fit, or if space was at a premium, across other driveways. Sitting with my bumper 3 inches from the driver's door leaning on the horn for a few minutes usually provoked some manners.
Later another neighbour got fed up of having to ask permission to take his car out of his own drive and took a swing at one of them. The police were there in minutes, and thereafter the lads had carte blanche to do what they pleased and wind him up to their heart's content.

Their mother would also go up and down the street putting her rubbish in other people's bins louder declaring that it wasn't her rubbish as she did it. She of course was famous for the ultimate abuse of a private driveway - driving straight up it and ramming her 4x4 into the front of a boyfriend's house in lieu of a Dear John letter.

I live near some people like that. Other residents refer to it as the 'ASBO' house. While not parking on driveways, one of them did park on the pavement outside my 91 year old neighbour's house and she couldn't get her mobility scooter out the gate. He almost got towed away but moved it on time. They always park on the verge outside their house (it has no drive, being on a corner) rutting the grass and getting mud everywhere.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nobody has cast an opinion on whether my suggestion of dogshit under the door handle would be legal... or indeed effective
Not legal (similar to deliberately sticking stuff on the window and you don't have a plausible defence that the dog put it there IMO) and only effective if it doesn't rain hard. I'm sure you can do better, although probably still not legal ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
.........and if it has the right plates then take them off and nip down to your local auto distributors and buy a couple of cheapo plates with a likely reg and screw them on, that should make the authorities jump.
I would never do that but my post seems in line with most of the other suggestions on this thread:whistle:.
Just tape the plates over the ones fitted.

Top Bottom