When someone parks THIER car on YOUR drive...what can you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
Who do you think would be liable if they had an accident that could be attributable to a tyre with low pressure, after it had been deliberately tampered with?
you of course leave a note on car windscreen saying that as you passed by the car you noticed it had a flat tyre and as a good samaritan you are telling the driver.

Of course to ensure the note didn't get blown away or removed my some chav, you will have superglued it to the windscreen

spen666

Legendary Member
Not allowed....you would be arrested
Another shockinginly bad piece of legal advice from the threads resident barrack room lawyer - you know the sort claim to know the law but know bugger all

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
you of course leave a note on car windscreen saying that as you passed by the car you noticed it had a flat tyre and as a good samaritan you are telling the driver.

Of course to ensure the note didn't get blown away or removed my some chav, you will have superglued it to the windscreen
That's just getting silly.
Tampering with, or gluing anything to, a vehicle that doesn't belong to you puts you on a dodgy legal footing.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Not murder the driver, blow up his house and his entire family?

You're going soft.
I was saving that in case the owner didn't shift the wreckage pronto.*

*I would, of course, leave a note amidst the rubble and broken bodies stating that, as a passing good Samaritan, I would advise that anyone take caution due to trip hazards.

I arrived at my Mother's a few years ago to find one of the neighbours had parked in her drive (they had 5 cars and one driveway space). They were apt to invite themselves and their friends to use it at their leisure and had never asked permission. So I just parked across the back of it.
A while later a sheepish neighbour appeared at the door and asked me to move my car as 'I was blocking him in'.
20 minutes later when I'd finished my cuppa I moved it. All nice and passive but the point was made.

It was normal for them to park in any drive on the street they saw fit, or if space was at a premium, across other driveways. Sitting with my bumper 3 inches from the driver's door leaning on the horn for a few minutes usually provoked some manners.
Later another neighbour got fed up of having to ask permission to take his car out of his own drive and took a swing at one of them. The police were there in minutes, and thereafter the lads had carte blanche to do what they pleased and wind him up to their heart's content.

Their mother would also go up and down the street putting her rubbish in other people's bins louder declaring that it wasn't her rubbish as she did it. She of course was famous for the ultimate abuse of a private driveway - driving straight up it and ramming her 4x4 into the front of a boyfriend's house in lieu of a Dear John letter.

midlife

Guru
Another shockinginly bad piece of legal advice from the threads resident barrack room lawyer - you know the sort claim to know the law but know bugger all

I'm sure plod could arrest you for suspicion of criminal damage while they check the car out?

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear

Haven't got any superglue, will honey be suitable?

As an upstanding member of society, I must point out that I would tow the offending vehicle off the driveway. I would not damage it, and do not countenance anyone doing so.
I've got two automatics, can't see dragging them about in 'Park' will do the gearboxes much good. Unless you have an elevated tow. And actually finding a tow point on modern cars with all sorts of plastic skirts without damaging them? Common to have a small flap with a screw in tow point now - you have one of those? Not saying it ain't possible, just the 'no damage' bit takes care.

After this is over, regularly, say once every couple of weeks, let down ONE tyre, the same tyre each time.
He will be running back and forth to the tyre shop tying to trace the invisibe puncture, dodgy valve and eventually replace the tyre

...... then you start on the next one .....
Apparently a sneakier possiblility - a small stone in the dust cover can work - when screwed down it leaves the valve leaking just a little bit so goes down slowly, unlikely to be noticed when tyre is pumped up, and of course any garage won't actually find a leak after they remove the cap to fill it up and check it.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
This is from askthe.police.uk..
Useful website.
Doesn’t mention anywhere about cream, glue, honey, axes, acid.

“Specified enforcement powers for parking offences, of which parking on a dropped kerb over a driveway is one, have been transferred from the police to become a local authority responsibility throughout many counties in England and Wales. The responsibility varies from force to force and council to council.

If the vehicle is blocking access to your driveway then you should first make enquiries with the neighbours to see if they know who the car belongs to. If no one knows, then you should contact your local authority parking enforcement team in the first instance who will attend to the matter as soon as they are able.

If the responsibility for that particular locality remains with the police, then the local authority will inform you so that you can contact your local force. Policy may vary from force to force and council to council; some may only attend if your car is blocked in and you cannot get out.”

This is from askthe.police.uk..
Useful website.
Doesn’t mention anywhere about cream, glue, honey, axes, acid.

“Specified enforcement powers for parking offences, of which parking on a dropped kerb over a driveway is one, have been transferred from the police to become a local authority responsibility throughout many counties in England and Wales. The responsibility varies from force to force and council to council.

If the vehicle is blocking access to your driveway then you should first make enquiries with the neighbours to see if they know who the car belongs to. If no one knows, then you should contact your local authority parking enforcement team in the first instance who will attend to the matter as soon as they are able.

If the responsibility for that particular locality remains with the police, then the local authority will inform you so that you can contact your local force. Policy may vary from force to force and council to council; some may only attend if your car is blocked in and you cannot get out.”

The guide needs properly tailoring for modern society:
"make enquiries with the neighbours to see if they know who the car belongs to." - What to do if the neighbours tell you to fark off? And the old favourite: What to do if you find the car owner and he/she/etc tells you to fark off?

Top Bottom