When someone parks THIER car on YOUR drive...what can you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can't clamp 'em, tow 'em or block 'em in.

How about a generous spread of bird seed, squirrel nuts and dried cat food across the roof of their car?

Edit: Just checked what I'm allowed to do here in Texas, I can get 'em towed, I can call the police who will tow them off, but I can't shoot 'em (surprisingly, given the perpensity for self defense legal loop holes).

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
There's no criminal offences or traffic non compliances.

From the police link I posted up thread, there may be:

"Under no circumstances would we advocate you merely pushing the vehicle onto a road and leaving it there, as you may commit a number of offences."

Drago

Legendary Member
Fill their exuast with grease. Once the engine gets warm it'll smoke like Richard Harris on a bender, but by the time they pull up in a garage panicking it will all have burned off. No damage, except to the owners underwear.

"Under no circumstances would we advocate you merely pushing the vehicle onto a road and leaving it there, as you may commit a number of offences."

Such as? Its hot air. Most bobbies - myself included - have encountered the scenario, and provided they don't damage the vehicle or cause a deliberate highway obstruction, the police are powerless. Even in the case of the latter, the police will seize the car and have it towed, and the owner will be left with the expense.

Of course the police don't advocate it, but if you don't cause any damage to the vehicle its bugger all their business.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
It might be inconvenient to the owner of the drive, but the obvious solution to disabling access has already been mentioned. i.e superglue. If you are content to let them get off the drive, I'd suggest it would depend upon the level of your conscience. Corrosive liquids such as brake fluid are readily available and where they were applied would have either obvious or more longer term consequences.

screenman

Legendary Member
If it is not causing a problem does it matter, I am sure if more people offered space they were not using to others in need the roads would be clearer.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, there's no intention to dishonestly deprive, so there's no theft.

You haven't 'taken' it because its been delivered into your possession or constructive possession, so there's no TWOC.

You could cause an obstruction, but it won't be you picking up the bill for that.

Just don't damage it! The guy mentioned in the OP had possibly gone OTT or damaged it, and hence his arrest. That's always assuming the story was accurately reported and having come to the attention of the police he wasn't arrested for something completely unconnected, like an old warrant or some such.

Do what the parking contractors do. Put up a sign advising no parking or there'll be a charge of, say, £200, which you will pursue through the small claims Court.

midlife

Guru
I think you will fall foul of the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 if you move it

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Used to happen to me regularly. I lived next to a garden centre and people would regularly park on my driveway when the carpark was full.

Quite often blocked people in and went to the pub for an hour or so on a Sunday afternoon.

Did once say to one bloke "dont Park there it's private property." He told me to fark off as he'd only be half an hour.

If he'd been less sweary i might have mentioned the 2 skips worth of gravel and turf being delivered in 15 minutes.... Still I'm sure he didn't need the car that weekend.

Drago

Legendary Member
What if the owner accused you of some damage that was prexisting?

And what's to stop them doing that even if you don't touch it?

I found the story. The lad referred to by the Op was arrested for criminal damage, and released without charge. His arrest was nothing to do with the actual act of moving the car.

@midlife. Good point, but a tort is a civil wrong. If they tried to sue you for moving it, you'd simply counter sue for leaving it there in the first place, and for their trespass.

Mrs M

Guru
037E4295-F9B9-41B9-BB2A-9AD7B2D2447F.jpeg
:ph34r:

winjim

Smash the cistern
If it is not causing a problem does it matter, I am sure if more people offered space they were not using to others in need the roads would be clearer.
I seem to remember there's an app that enables you to do that, and to put on a small charge for it.

Top Bottom