When the Police do this stuff, what hope .......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks

• "Poor interaction with other road users' (sic)/ members' (sic) of the local community. :eek::eek::eek:
Yeah, that was my favourite.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Clickable headline aside, I don't think it's the actual bobbies who've put this out. It's pretty crap though that no one checked it before it was published. What an expensive and embarrassing mistake. :rolleyes:

DRHysted

Guru
They have apologised, apparently it was released without authorisation or proofing.
It was actually released at a secondary school 1 mile from where I live, so keeping with the New Forests cycling attitude really

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sadly, neighbourhood police often perpetuate junk about cycling, mostly passing on stuff submitted by some cycling-hater without checking it properly. I suspect even the more enlightened ones like West Midlands might be vulnerable to this sort of attack.

Most constabularies also put a bit too much belief into official statements from the likes of the local/national government, Brake and RoSPA when there's no evidence for them - or sometimes even when they are contradicted by evidence.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
If you believe that, I've a famous bridge I'd like to sell you...
I expect it is entirely possible given that quite a few "community" organisations are associated / supportive of the police, but not directly involved - so putting out a leaflet could quite easily bypass the force's media and legal teams.

mjr

I expect it is entirely possible given that quite a few "community" organisations are associated / supportive of the police, but not directly involved - so putting out a leaflet could quite easily bypass the force's media and legal teams.
I'd be more inclined to believe it if the police sent any of them a cease-and-desist, or if the police statement appeared on www.hampshire.police.uk somewhere.

Also, even their corrected list of offences is shoot: the Boateng principle means they shouldn't be trying to scare people off the footway when they feel it's safer; and some standard bicycles are built to carry passengers.

That's my patch. Every copper I've spoken to here, has laughed their pointy helmet off about it.

screenman

Legendary Member
I listed that in the joke section yesterday.

To defend the police, they did say they did not approve the flyer handed out by a school.

mjr

They'd have to chuck me in jail for having no helmet at all.
No no no, you've misread it: having none at all was fine, as was wearing it incorrectly (so even most helmet-wearers would be fine :tongue: ). It's wearing it correctly that attracts a £50-minimum fine, according to that leaflet, as does "due care and consideration for other road user's". :laugh: (Other user's what?)

To defend the police, they did say they did not approve the flyer handed out by a school.
They said "We have looked into this and it would appear that a final version was issued without final approval by Hampshire Constabulary" which raises more questions than it answers: yes, it appears like that, Malcolm Tucker, but was that what actually happened? Did an earlier version get final approval from them? Did this version get some sort of non-final "it looks OK to me but let me run it past HQ" approval? :crazy:

Top Bottom