When the simplest task turns into something bigger.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Decided to give my Genesis Croix de Fer a good wash down this morning after it's recent touring around York and district.
Used muc-off bike cleaner (a xmas present, I'm usually a fairy liquid user for the bikes!) and degreased then re-lubed the chain. Took it a ride along my street just to shake off the water, and noticed a grinding noise from the front axle.
Took it apart and found the cones to be in a bad way. Oh well, no point putting it back together like that, so now need to source some new ones, which could prove difficult. One side has a slightly bigger surround bit on it. Google here we come. Maybe after a ride on another bike, which supports the case for n+1..

Attachments

• 20220702_092000.jpg
    20220702_092000.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Google is great. Chain Reaction had a complete hub in stock. Shimano HB M525A, reduced to £11.99 plus £2.99 delivered to my local Tesco Express. That'll do for me! :smile:. I will take the axle, ball bearings, and cones off it and keep the rest just in case.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Google is great. Chain Reaction had a complete hub in stock. Shimano HB M525A, reduced to £11.99 plus £2.99 delivered to my local Tesco Express. That'll do for me! :smile:. I will take the axle, ball bearings, and cones off it and keep the rest just in case.

It's often the case to buy a new hub and use as spares, especially for cheaper Shimano Hubs.

Top Bottom