When to go Clipless ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WobblyBob

Well i've had my bike a Spesh Crosstrail a grand total of 13 days & managed 10 rides out on it, tonight was my first real experience of riding when its been properly wet when i went out straight after coming in from work.
Anyway i kept finding my trainers were slipping out of position or even coming off the pedals altogether once or twice when trying to get the 'power' down which was a bit unsettling, i still managed 15 miles in 58mins so it obviously did'nt effect me too badly but i just wondered when i should think about 'upgrading' to clipless as i know the general advice is to get used to the bike for a while first.....should i stick or twist do you reckon ? :scratch:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Well i've had my bike a Spesh Crosstrail a grand total of 13 days & managed 10 rides out on it, tonight was my first real experience of riding when its been properly wet when i went out straight after coming in from work.
Anyway i kept finding my trainers were slipping out of position or even coming off the pedals altogether once or twice when trying to get the 'power' down which was a bit unsettling, i still managed 15 miles in 58mins so it obviously did'nt effect me too badly but i just wondered when i should think about 'upgrading' to clipless as i know the general advice is to get used to the bike for a while first.....should i stick or twist do you reckon ? :scratch:

Well if you go clipless you will stick until you twist then you come unclipped.:tongue:

sittingbull

Veteran
You could go half way for the moment and get something to hold your feet but not anything that locks them to the pedal
I'd second this. There's nothing to stop you going clipless now but best to wait 'til you have less of those unexpected wobbly moments when you have to dab the ground with one foot, 'cos that's when you'll come off and scratch the new bike (and dent your pride).

Powergrips are a good 1/2 way point, but tbh you might as well just go clipless straight away. Whenever you do it you will have a couple of clipless moments and then you will be fine.

Hip Priest

Veteran
You may as well go clipless.

Obviously, you're averaging 15mph, so you've no problem riding and controlling a bike. Clipless is a bit disconcerting at first, especially when in heavy traffic, but it soon becomes second nature. I've never had a clipless fall either, so they aren't mandatory!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I noticed the standard pedals on my mates Crosstrail are like especially bad plastic flats with virtually no grip especially when wet. Ive just changed my creaky pedals on my very similar Giant hybrid and after lots of reading decided to stick with flats and after trawling endless reviews went for Wellgo MG1s http://www.highonbikes.com/wellgo-mg1-magnesium-alloy-platform-flat-mtb-pedals.html They are so much more grippy than you would believe like being glued to the pedals when you put pressure on them and just as good in the wet, its even hard to adjust your foot position without lifting it off, as you can tell im very impressed. The only con might be that theyre a bit sharp for slicing your shins on :smile:

Im not saying not to go clipless as I havent tried them just giving you an alternative. I was tempted to try going clipless myself, but Im also a utility cyclist (shopping/visit friends/pub etc) and so want to be able to ride my bike in normal shoes I can walk in and the way our cyclepaths (redways) are you have to prepare to stop at frequent blind junctions which would mean clipping out just incase every hundred metres.

sittingbull

Veteran
Depending on which system you intend going for there are some which are double sided. I use Shimano M520's (spd's) which will take a plastic adaptor on one side for use with "normal" shoes. That way you wouldn't be fully committed at first.

OP
OP
WobblyBob

WobblyBob

Thanks very much for some great suggestions, i did'nt even realise there were other alternatives to be honest & Mr Jamie you're dead right about the pedals on my bike....they're crap !!
I don't get paid for another fortnight anyway so i think i'll mull this over & see how i get on in that time aswell....another problem that i have with 'clipless' is the fact that i automatically associate these with 'proper cyclists'....which i just don't feel yet :blush:

RhythMick

Über Member
If your riding is purely road then yes clipless. Personally I use SPDs for pure road use, sportives etc, but if there's any trail in the route I use good flats, Wellgo MG1s. They are so grippy anyway but the thought of the bike slipping out from under me on a trail ruins the enjoyment of the ride, so I switch.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
If your riding is purely road then yes clipless. Personally I use SPDs for pure road use, sportives etc, but if there's any trail in the route I use good flats, Wellgo MG1s. They are so grippy anyway but the thought of the bike slipping out from under me on a trail ruins the enjoyment of the ride, so I switch.
Have they sliced your shins up? Ive only had my MG1s a week and love them but im a little paranoid by the sharp studs :smile:

Top Bottom