When will Shimano realise that not everyone wants a 11 or 12T bottom sprocket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
Also depends on the cadence that you're comfortable riding at. I tend to pedal with quite a slow cadence and a high torque so the smaller sprockets work well for me. There have been times, on very steep downhill runs, where I've ran out of gears - sat on the big ring at the front and the small one (11T) at the back and just not been able to pedal fast enough! I would have been quite happy to have had a smaller gear on the back at that point :smile:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
11T Works for me with a 52 upfront.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I run two road bikes, with 50/34 and 11-28 or 11-32. Used to have 12-28 but changed it after getting the 11-32 on the other bike.

Why? The 11 is great to have on long moderate downhills, eg blasting down the Cat and Fiddle or Snake pass. Not in any way a practical need, just wonderful fun.

DRHysted

Guru
I used to be a middle of the cassette rider rarely using the 11t regularly dropping to the 32t. Since going 1x11 on the cyclocross I’ve started using all the cassette, but it does have a small front ring. The MTB I’ve just picked up (also a 1x11) has such a minuscule front ring I’m in the smaller sprockets most of the time.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
May train if thought is......if your not using the lower 3 cogs on the cassette then your front chain rings are too big

Lots of ametuer, sportive, social riders would be better off on a 46/48t front chainring. Then they would use the full spread of the cassette and probably a lot fresher after rides, from not trying to churn big front rings. But their egos might not allow that :okay:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
May train if thought is......if your not using the lower 3 cogs on the cassette then your front chain rings are too big

Lots of ametuer, sportive, social riders would be better off on a 46/48t front chainring. Then they would use the full spread of the cassette and probably a lot fresher after rides, from not trying to churn big front rings. But their egos might not allow that :okay:
Doncha mean 36/48?

Mmmmm, I ride with a 46/34 and a 11-30 8-speed on my wee 650c wheeled roadie.

That's plenty fine enough for the flat roads in this neck of the woods, but to be fair, I rarely use the 11-tooth sprocket. I'm usually somewhere in the middle range of the cassette as I prefer to spin rather than grind. If I didn't have the 11t, I don't think I'd miss it at all.

But with the above gearing I *really* struggled on Sunday's hilly ride between Winchester and Alresford - I barely used the big chainring at all...

Having said that, I'm eyeing up an N+1 (and not because of Sunday - it's been a long-term want) with 44/32/22 and an 11-32 9-speed on the back. The bike's a little bit heavier, but I think the much lower gearing will more than offset the extra weight and wider tyres.

Reactions: C R

ChrisEyles

Guru
14-28t five speed freewheel on the back of my road bike, with a 52/42 double, and I can't say I've honestly ever needed a higher gear. The 17t and 20t sprockets see much more use than the 14t even then.

OK, I'm not the fastest, but neither are the majority of real life cyclists out on the road!

Top Bottom