When you get christmas cards from your neighbours.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Speaking of stuff in the post and weirdo neighbours... :whistle:

Ha ha - that sounds a bit like one weird woman down the road from me!

The postman delivered one of her letters to me by mistake so I went round to post it through her letterbox but it turned out that she doesn't have one! What kind of person doesn't have a letterbox in their door? (Maybe someone who is paranoid about having burning petrol, or dog shite poured through? :wacko:)

So, I knocked on the door. No answer. I could hear someone moving around in there so I knocked again. The curtains were pulled to one side and I saw her staring out at me; the curtains closed again; no answer!

I was starting to feel a bit p***ed off, so I knocked again. An angry voice came from inside the house - "GO AWAY!"

That was it - I wasn't going to stand there much longer, feeling foolish, so I shouted back that I had a letter for her which had been delivered to me by accident, and if she didn't open the door within 5 seconds, I was taking it home to burn it ...

The door opened, the woman leaned out, grabbed the letter out of my hand, and slammed the door in my face! I made a mental note to send any future letters back, marked "Unknown at this address"! :cursing:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I worked with a strange character many years ago.

He and his wife would give each other the same Christmas card every year which they kept in a drawer for over twenty years.

They also asked a couple of us around for drinks once, what did we get offered you might ask...............tap water. Weirdos.
That would be a good story for a comedy show. What odd balls.

Salar

A fish out of water
That would be a good story for a comedy show. What odd balls.

He came with me on a business trip to the Far East, he'd never been abroad before.

Anyway he went walkabout in the evening and ended up in the red light district. When he came back he commented how friendly the doormen, ladies and bar keepers were, inviting him in for free drinks :rolleyes:. Luckily he was tee total and he declined the offers.

Julia9054

Guru
Sneak round late evening in the dark and put a card through their letter box. That way you're unlikely to need to talk to them.
One very good reason to have children. As soon as they are old enough not to get run over, it’s their job to deliver the cards. Avoiding any awkwardness

kynikos

Veteran
Drop a line back asking them to desist and, if it happens again next year, you'll consider it harassment and seek a civil injunction to stop them doing it again.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Pop round with some scotch eggs and beers

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No probs.....I will post one back but wait a couple of weeks.
I'd say that's the best idea. Post one back asap and they'll think you want to be all matey and stuff. Give it a fortnight and it'll tell them you're being polite and hope they settle in,but don't expect to be invited round for supper (not just yet anyway) ok.:smile:

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
We live in a small(ish) close of about 20 houses.
There are none we don't like but maybe 6 we converse with regularly.
Us 7 have posted christmas cards through the letter boxes for some 15 years. No problem, a nice touch.
Today I found one posted from a new(ish) couple further up the close. Can't recall saying more than a few words to them. But there it is, with our names on and their house number so we can place them.
So.........
Ignore it ??
Reciprocate ??
What ??

I can't believe you are asking this! For goodness sake give them a card, and write on it that you hope they've settled down and will come round for a drink once it's allowed.

Nothing more valuable than neighbours.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I can't believe you are asking this! For goodness sake give them a card, and write on it that you hope they've settled down and will come round for a drink once it's allowed.

Nothing more valuable than neighbours.
Why can't you believe it....... it got you to respond didn't it :rolleyes:
However I fear you completely missed the whole spirit of my OP.

gavgav

Guru
My cul de sac contains the first houses to be built on the estate, 6 years ago. For the first couple of years all houses exchanged cards, but about half of the original residents (8 houses) have now moved out and been replaced by others who haven’t bothered with cards. Last year I didn’t bother sending to any of the houses and also didn’t receive any in return, which is fine by me and saves 7 cards :laugh:

Top Bottom