1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When you know you shouldn't (confessional)

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Mister Paul, 18 Sep 2007.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I was driving home late last night and taking a shortcut through a small housing estate. The (narrow) road climbs a steep hill, and is inset on the left to allow cars to park. I was almost at the top when an old bloke in a Metro (or a Rover 100 if you own one), rather than stop where he was and let me past, saw me and accelerated down into the narrow bit. We stopped about 4 feet from each other, with no room to pass. I would have had to reverse a good distance down the hill, whereas he only had to back up about 5m. He shook his head and put his handbrake on. I wasn't in a hurry, so I did the same.

We sat there, two stubborn male drivers, arms folded, for a good few minutes.
    Both praying that a car would appear behind us to unbalance the duel and make the other give way. Him staring at me, me pretending to whistle while inspecting the guttering of the houses.

After a while he got out of his car and walked to may passenger door. He said that it was his right of way and I should back all the way down the hill to let him through. I asked him if he'd read his Highway Code. He said he didn't need to, as he'd been driving for years. I suggested that he read the bit about giving way to uphill traffic whenever possible. He was adamant that I should give way because the parked cars were on my side of the road. I disagreed because I was coming up a hill. After I made my point I reversed all the way back down the hill, leaving him looking puzzled, as he clearly wasn't sure whether I was right or just trying to fob him off.

I know I shouldn't, and it makes me as much a Victor Meldrew as the old bloke, but it was quite a funny experience. I know I should have been courteous and given way to him, but I didn't.

2. JamesAC

JamesAC Senior Member

I used to drive (for my shame) a Land Rover (one of the proper ones, not one of these poncy "Discos"). I had a similar situation. So I turned the engine off, put my feet up on the dashboard, and started on the Telegraph crossword. After a couple of minutes, the other guy backed off.

I'm not sure if was the beat up old LR, or the Telegraph crossword that did the trick!!

Cheers

3. I've mentioned this before on here, but my trick in the lorry was to get my travel kettle and teabags out, put them on the dashboard and start making myself a nice refreshing brew. ;)

4. I've done this too, but unfortunately the next car came up behind the guy opposite me and so I had to reverse...

5. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Mr P, unusual for you to let someone else win.

6. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

but RT, it must be such fun to reverse an artic down a hill!

7. buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

... must remember to put a copy of Harry Potter in my car.

8. Smeggers

Smeggers New Member

It wasn't BonJ in the Metro was it?! ;)

9. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

can a metro even do a hill start in reverse?

10. It's not really a problem, once you're able to physically reverse an artic, but generally people see the size of the vehicle and think "ooh, that must be difficult to reverse" and give you right of way. Except for the occasional muppet who sees it as some kind of challenge.;)

11. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

If it was I'd be typing this from a laptop, in my car.

12. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

If the bit at your left where cars were parked is part of the road then you should have given way, as the presence of parked cars takes precedence over hills. If it's off the road, then he should have given way as you were going up the hill.
    Although I'm not really even sure why they have that rule, as it's harder to reverse up a hill than it is to go forward up a hill.

13. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

Probably a historical thing. Not all early cars had handbrakes (from what I recall) which would make hill starts difficult. Hence right of way going up. Equally I could be talking rubbish.

14. I thought the whole 'give way to the person going downhill' thing was a throwback to when people used to ride around in horse drawn carriages - because it's almost impossible to reverse a horse and carriage uphill. Or did I dream it?

15. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

RT you have mentioned it before and it is a legendary tactic in my book.