When you know you shouldn't (confessional)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesAC

I used to drive (for my shame) a Land Rover (one of the proper ones, not one of these poncy "Discos"). I had a similar situation. So I turned the engine off, put my feet up on the dashboard, and started on the Telegraph crossword. After a couple of minutes, the other guy backed off.

I'm not sure if was the beat up old LR, or the Telegraph crossword that did the trick!!

Cheers

bonj2

can a metro even do a hill start in reverse?

bonj2

If the bit at your left where cars were parked is part of the road then you should have given way, as the presence of parked cars takes precedence over hills. If it's off the road, then he should have given way as you were going up the hill.
Although I'm not really even sure why they have that rule, as it's harder to reverse up a hill than it is to go forward up a hill.

ChrisKH

Guru
bonj said:
If the bit at your left where cars were parked is part of the road then you should have given way, as the presence of parked cars takes precedence over hills. If it's off the road, then he should have given way as you were going up the hill.
Although I'm not really even sure why they have that rule, as it's harder to reverse up a hill than it is to go forward up a hill.

Probably a historical thing. Not all early cars had handbrakes (from what I recall) which would make hill starts difficult. Hence right of way going up. Equally I could be talking rubbish.

Top Bottom