When's the best time to buy a new or nearly new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
I can see bike prices are still pretty high not least due to the shortage, so what might happen in the new year? Will, they start to normalise? Will, there be an excess of bikes on eBay etc and people discover that riding is not really for them?

Sharky

Guru
Always used to think that autumn was a good time to buy as the "next year's" models are arriving in the shops and old stock gets discounted. When I bought my SS through the CTW scheme a few years ago, I noticed I could have got it for 25% less in the autumn.

But under the current covid restrictions, supply/demand is unpredicable

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
When you want one and when you can afford one seems to be a good idea.

Depends if you're a "I want it right now!" person or a "I want maximum value, so I'll wait for a good deal" person. I think I can work out which camp you are in.......
I've bought multiple secondhand bikes, both to ride and for spares donors, and almost all have been purchased between the end of September and the end of March, so essentially during the part of the year when the days are relatively short and the weather is less appealing.
My latest one was a 531 spares bike this month, and is my first purchase since February. I now have it and was delighted to find a pair of nearly new Schwalbes that would cost £40 fitted to a £20 bike! This obviously isn't in the "nearly new" category asked by the OP, but there are deals out there virus or no virus, and secondhand-wise the closer you are to the shortest darkest days the lower the prices.
For modern stuff, in normal circumstances it's around the model year change time, just like it is for cars. If a retailer has a lot of metal they want to shift to make way for next year's models, they tend to be a lot more reasonable on pricing. This year is not a normal new market though, due to supply constraints. Next year should be normal or even saturated, I would wait until autumn 2021 if buying new.

My dad cycled all over Europe by bike, Youth Hostelling. Cycled thousands of miles on a bike he built himself because he could not afford a car in those days. He kept putting off a new bike but when he had saved enough and was ready, his brother was killed so he never bought the bike he wanted. Fast forward many years and the day of his retirement he has waited many years to buy and build his dream bike ....... diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and doesn’t even know what a bike is now.
If you can afford it, have the money and it doesn’t effect anyone else that it’s up to you how much you pay and when you buy.
@SkipdiverJohn has valid points and a viewpoint that works for him and how he chooses to live his life, and should be respected, but it’s by no means a reason to live your life the same. Merely a valid opinion. I think the opposite but then I am watching my hero die every day .....

albal

Guru
Ordered a new bike from freewheel. Yes it's more than I would spend. Had a good year financially so enjoying the time , as it won't last.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can see bike prices are still pretty high not least due to the shortage, so what might happen in the new year? Will, they start to normalise? Will, there be an excess of bikes on eBay etc and people discover that riding is not really for them?
In normal years the autumn is considered a good time to buy a brand new bike as there are usually clearances of current year's stock to be found. My LBS told me there will be no deals in 2021 unless one is a regular customer - I've been going there for 20+ years. We discussed the significant shortages of bikes, group sets etc. As for ebay if you know exactly what you are looking for this may be a source of a good nearly new bike, as opposed to truly second hand if you get my drift, but if new prices are stable/high nearly new will be as well.

If you can find the right bike at a price you can afford I would order it immediately. You may well have to wait 4-6 months at least. Hanging on might save you a few ££££s but you may also find the bike is no longer available. I've recently bought a new bike which I'll collect this week. I hesitated for too long over the model I planned, after much research, and by the time I made the decision there was no stock available till next May. I decided to look at another model, found something significantly better and more expensive, spent 24 hours considering this and purchased the last one in the country. My decision to spend double my original budget was simple - do I want to waste six months pleasure? I can't buy that.

Slightly off topic but I feel relevant, a good friend of mine has a wonderful saying - "Life's too short for shoot bikes!!"

My new bike is in the stands at Mason been built as we speak so I will get it early. I don’t care what an anonymous person on a forum says because I know I will love it and enjoy it for years to come. In 10 years time it will be an ‘old’ technology steel frame bike with outdated Shimano Ultegra and very old fashioned disc hydraulic brakes. The young will look upon it as a tragic old ‘thing’ and laugh hysterically at the fact it’s actually still powered by pedals:wacko: It will be the next generation of skipdivers bike because someone had to purchase and ride his £20 relics from new... and so one day someone will ride this but I hope it’s my family :okay: Enjoy a bike, whenever you choose to buy

Ebay autumn/winter when the supposed cyclist realise he ain't a cyclist after all. I always sell on a buy it now in the spring. I expect to pay a third or less for a second hand quality bike. But you do have to wait until the price is right.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
There are variations on the same advice through this thread, and I agree with the majority that if you want something in particular (new), and you can afford it, then buy it. The old tropes of peaks and troughs of demand and pricing aren't really applying right now and may not for some time, if ever.

There might, possibly, potentially, perhaps, be a glut of used bikes on eBay at some point; But people have been speculating that on here all this year and I'm not convinced that it's happening yet, or will happen as predictably and suddenly as some suggest. It's not something I'd bet a big sum on, and I feel it might be a slow, less noticeable phenomenon rather than a deluge.

When you want one and when you can afford one seems to be a good idea.

Only this.

Top Bottom