FNRttC Where are the new Fridays bike rides being advertised?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexB

Veteran
I was hoping to see them here, because I've seen them advertised on Facebook.
I'm trying to disentangle myself from Facebook, so it would be nice to have alternatives.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It seems that since a tiny minority of FN Riders on here complained about their name being on a list hiding behind gdpr, the FNR threads are now all but dead on here. They killed off what used to be a fantastic community and resource.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexB

AlexB

Veteran
It seems that since a tiny minority of FN Riders on here complained about their name being on a list hiding behind gdpr, the FNR threads are now all but dead on here. They killed off what used to be a fantastic community and resource on here.

That's a real shame as the GDPR is actually quite specific on this (I run a professional organisation with a large-ish membership). If you belong to a group with a specific interest, it's perfectly appropriate for them to contact you for the specific purposes of giving you information about the activity in question. This group also allows you to be anonymous (via pseudonym), so you can opt in to having personal information available or not. Facebook is far more sinister in their collection and utilization of aggregated data.

rb58

Enigma
Just to clarify, The Fridays club is trialling a series of small group rides that conform to government social distancing requirements. We are using the 500 members of our Facebook community for this trial. Assuming the trial is successful we will send an email to everyone who has subscribed to our newsletter and update the website with details of the rides.

The Fridays no longer post rides on CycleChat as a matter of course, it is down to individual ride leaders to advertise rides on the forum if they feel it would help.

frank9755

Cyclist
It seems that since a tiny minority of FN Riders on here complained about their name being on a list hiding behind gdpr, the FNR threads are now all but dead on here. They killed off what used to be a fantastic community and resource.

That is a shame!
Eventually everything gets sucked into facebook and we have advertising rammed down our throats and get our brains addled by endless irrelevant distraction...

kimble

Veteran
Bah, and indeed, humbug.
Not that it really matters, as I'm not going anywhere near public transport for the foreseeable future, so my riding is limited to the midlands.

Actually, it's two different things.

Yes, several people objected to their names being listed on CycleChat on the threads, so that aspect was dropped for data protection reasons.

Subsequently, as other ride leaders have been brought on board in the last year or so to start running rides who (for a number of reasons) don't use CycleChat, it made sense for the Fridays to simply use the website and email to advertise rides. Of course there's nothing stopping anyone else starting a thread about a ride, but the fact that there's not much comment on those threads that had been created last year goes along with the fact that not so many of the actual participants on a Friday Night Ride use CycleChat.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
If you sign up to the newsletter at the official fnrttc site you get the rides and the latest news delivered to your inbox. There's no need to be on Facebook, I choose not to be on there and I get the Fridays news just fine.

rb58

Enigma
I got all enthusiastic to register for a ride, then realised most of them are day rides and I have no holiday left *sob*.
There are a few night times rides on the website - it's about half and half day/evening and night time rides. The trouble is, with strict conditions placed on group sizes, places get snapped up pretty quickly. Even when we run two groups.

wanda2010

Guru
Thanks guys. I'll have to 'make do' with riding around London til things improve. I MISS MY GROUP especially now that my knee is almost fully recovered. Was trying to explain the joys of night riding to another cyclist on Sunday. Not sure I've lit a spark, but she might consider it in the future.

Top Bottom