Where are you based?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Noodley, are you anywhere near the Temple of Fiddes? Or know of it? I've driven past a good few times but never investigated further.

Noodley

longers said:
Noodley, are you anywhere near the Temple of Fiddes? Or know of it? I've driven past a good few times but never investigated further.

I drove past there this week.

bonj2

Noodley said:
Ok bonj. I'm gonna PM you with my location and subject myself to your strict vetting policy ;)

But only as I could be of assistance in the "shirt nonsense" :biggrin:

I may be in a position to assist. I could meet some CCers before the start of audaxes and then pass on the shirt to others en route. It would take a bit of planning mind but it should be workable as the distances will range from 100km to 1000km. The areas I'll be riding this year are:

various parts of Scotland and I can just about guarantee I could work in something for "anywhere" in Scotland
Pennines - not quite sure what area this covers :blush:
Peak District
(I reckon anything "north England" would be a possibility)
North Wales
South Wales

I'm genuinely baffled as to what "I could meed some CCers before the start of audaxes" means. I'm not sure any fangled concept of 'audax' needs to be brought into this. ;) What ARE audaxes, anyway. I still don't understand how an 'audax' is different from a normal bike ride. I once did pose the question and the most sensible response I got was from abitrary who said it was to do with riding with your mp3 player on.

longers

Legendary Member
Google it Bonj, look for the AUK website. It might save you getting some smart arse answers. Unless that is what you want ;).

bonj2

There's going to be no need for distances of "100km - 1000 km" Noodley. ;)
That's what's nice about it - it's proved that we're actually fairly well connected. The way the map's looking at the moment, there shouldn't be any need for anyone to go more than 20 miles there and back, as long as some people meet up in towns mid way between where they live. I've got suspiciouns that you're planning on gallavanting off on some ironman megatour with the jersey on taking it round to everyone's house in turn for them to sign it, having got people to set up a finish line that you then come charging through while they all cheer and you get all the glory. That isn't how it's going to happen.

bonj2

It says
"Audax United Kingdom (known as Audax UK or AUK) is the foremost long-distance cycling association in the UK.... blah blah blah

then:
Can anybody ride Audax UK's events?
Yes.
Although technically, AUK does not 'run' events - these are run by clubs or individuals under AUK's supervision.
When a non-member enters an event, there is a small additional fee over and above the usual entry fee, which gives the rider 'temporary membership' of AUK for the duration of the event. This is necessary for insurance reasons.

I'm still baffled. What's this, some organisation trying to tax people for riding their bikes long distances?
How are they getting away with this? Surely no-one actually pays? Isn't it just a bit like scientology, then?

longers

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
I drove past there this week.

What is it there for? What is it's purpose? Searching on the interweb has revealed sweet fanny adams of any use.

It sticks in my mind because a very scary teacher was nicknamed Jock Fidds and it amused me that there was a temple to this psycho.

The best way to think of Audax, Bonj, is that it's like orienteering on a bike. Someone sets up a route and sends out route cards before the start. Then everyone turns up, does the ride via a number of control points, has their cards stamped, meets up round the route and at the end for tea and cake, and goes home. They're actually pretty good fun and quite sociable.

Noodley

bonj said:
There's going to be no need for distances of "100km - 1000 km" Noodley. ;)
That's what's nice about it - it's proved that we're actually fairly well connected. The way the map's looking at the moment, there shouldn't be any need for anyone to go more than 20 miles there and back, as long as some people meet up in towns mid way between where they live. I've got suspiciouns that you're planning on gallavanting off on some ironman megatour with the jersey on taking it round to everyone's house in turn for them to sign it, having got people to set up a finish line that you then come charging through while they all cheer and you get all the glory. That isn't how it's going to happen.

Nope, what I am saying is that I may be able to "join up" some of the bits. I am riding in areas which may need connecting, so I may be able to help. Mind you, the "getting all the glory" bit appeals ;):blush: Not! You need to become aware of my non-glory ways bonj, old chap. Don't attach anything to my simplicity. All I was doing was making an offer if there was any "joining up" needed and I could help.

Noodley

longers said:
What is it there for? What is it's purpose? Searching on the interweb has revealed sweet fanny adams of any use.

Not a clue. I'll maybe go and find out sometime. If bonj will allow me ;)

bonj2

Noodley said:
Nope, what I am saying is that I may be able to "join up" some of the bits. I am riding in areas which may need connecting, so I may be able to help. Mind you, the "getting all the glory" bit appeals ;):blush: Not! You need to become aware of my non-glory ways bonj, old chap. Don't attach anything to my simplicity. All I was doing was making an offer if there was any "joining up" needed and I could help.

ok. I see. very good of you. But don't be too nice to people, getting the train is cheating but we don't want using you to just become another form of cheating, e.g. 'oh, i can't be arsed to cycle there, i'll just book Noodley'. ;)

Do you think if this happens we could get on the news? Possibly even in the sun?

Top Bottom