Where can I source a 5 Speed wide range freewheel ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,
I have at present an old 80's 10 speed touring bike which suits my purpose well and is fitted with a 36-14 five speed freewheel which needs replacing, has anyone any idea where I may get one simalar ? I've had a quick look on the net but they all seem to have 28 teeth as a max..

Thanks

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

midlife

Guru
Suntour Perfect and Shimano skiptooth are the only two that spring to mind at the moment but are period. 7 speed are available but I think all the "modern" 5 speeds are up to 24..

I'll have a think..

Shaun

ChrisEyles

Guru
Never seen a 14-36t five speed freewheel, but I'd be interested to know if you manage to source one. I've got a 14-28t on my 60s road bike and it's hard work getting up the steeper hills with a 52/42t double! I'd also be interested to know what the jumps are between the five gears.

Out of interest, what rear derailleur are you running that can cope with such a large range - was it original equipment on the bike?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I just had a look and found a 6 speed Shimano Tourney 14-34 freewheel block for 20 quid or so. Are your gears indexed? If you have friction shifters, that might work with a 6 speed chain. (Or that might be a stupid idea. Don't ask me I am an idiot)

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
The one fitted at present is a shimano skip tooth had a proper look at it today in the light and it 34 teeth on it's lowest gear and 13 on the highest. I was thinking of going 6 speed as there seems plenty available at a cheap price but wasn't sure how much wider they are. I'm not sure of the mech but it is Shimano will post a pic. As the bike only cost me 20 quid it goes against the grain to pay much for the freewheel. I do have a triple which I could may be use with the more common freewheel sizes but it would of course destroy the classic look.The problem I have is on it's highest gear the new chain is skipping badly I'm wondering if the chain size is wrong it was advertised as 5/6/7 speed but being an old bike I wonder if this should be different. The freewheel looks in great condition but there was no original chain to compare it against.The gears are non indexed on friction shifters on the down tube. Does it matter if I use an indexed freewheel and what is the difference anyway ?I've tired adjusting the gear incase it was trying to jump to the next gear.
Thanks all.
Could do with a clean !
31622891875_7a3a930369_n.jpg

31506809431_7525809c74_n.jpg

Attachments

• 31622891875_7a3a930369_n.jpg
    31622891875_7a3a930369_n.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 31506809431_7525809c74_n.jpg
    31506809431_7525809c74_n.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 69

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The gears are non indexed on friction shifters on the down tube. Does it matter if I use an indexed freewheel and what is the difference anyway ?
I use a modern 8-speed cassette with friction shifters no problems whatsoever. I could be wrong but I don't think there's such a thing as an "indexed freewheel".

I know more modern sprockets have funny shapes and things to help shifting, so that might be the meaning of the term "indexed freewheel", but anyway - friction-shifting a 6-speed should be no problem. However, whether the 6-speed freewheel is wider than the 5-speed or just has closer spaced sprockets I have no idea.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I use a 6-speed Shimano Torney on my 71 Carlton Continental along with a Duopar and 42/52 Shimano 105 up front, works well with 600 shifters set to friction. I use a narrow Shimano HG40 chain.

PA317354_zpsizol4l8s.jpg

PA317351_zps16e89mcw.jpg

PA317338_zpszfg97bm0.jpg

Attachments

• PA317354_zpsizol4l8s.jpg
    PA317354_zpsizol4l8s.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 66
  • PA317351_zps16e89mcw.jpg
    PA317351_zps16e89mcw.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 64
  • PA317338_zpszfg97bm0.jpg
    PA317338_zpszfg97bm0.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 53

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I use a modern 8-speed cassette with friction shifters no problems whatsoever. I could be wrong but I don't think there's such a thing as an "indexed freewheel".

I know more modern sprockets have funny shapes and things to help shifting, so that might be the meaning of the term "indexed freewheel", but anyway - friction-shifting a 6-speed should be no problem. However, whether the 6-speed freewheel is wider than the 5-speed or just has closer spaced sprockets I have no idea.

I am indeed an idiot. I've just done a bit of research here and here

When I posted this I thought that maybe 6 speed blocks were the same width as 5 speed, made by squishing the sprockets together. That's not true. (It's sort of true for 6 to 7 speed but not 5 to 6) so 5 speeds require 120mm dropouts and 6/7 speeds, which are wider require 126mm dropouts. You might be able to put a 6 speed block on your wheel, with some spacers on the axle and spring it into the dropouts, but then that might mean the dishing of the wheel might be wrong.

In short: Ignore me. I am an idiot. <- But don't ignore this. If you did, you wouldn't be ignoring me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom