Where Can I Use an Off-Road Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Hi All,
I'm considering some off road bikes for my family because there are lots of country paths across fields and along waterways around by where I live (Hampshire). One question though, are bikes normally allowed to use these paths? Or do they tend to be for walkers only?
Shaun.

maurice

Anything other than footpaths are fine (unfortunately most paths tend to be footpaths). Believe technically you might need a permit to ride next to a canal, but not sure on that, you won't get in trouble anyway.

Bridlepaths are the mtb'ers normal stable diet, get an OS map and link as many together as possible for a nice loop.

ps. if you're discrete, courteous to walkers and it's not crowded, you can get away with riding on footpaths 99 times out of 100. Just avoid the ones that go near/through farms.

02GF74

Über Member
Canals are private property belong to British Waterways or some such body. You are supposed to apply for a permit - I believe you can find it on line and print it off.

In practise there is nothing to stop you from cycling on the canal path.

For some reason walkers will tend to walk in the centre or in pairs so as to block the path from anyone who is travelling faster e.g. me running or cycling.

montage

God Almighty
Where abouts exactly in Hampshire?
I am there aswell and most places are fine :smile: Though I admit I am a roadie and rarely go offroad, though I used to go anywhere I liked with my mtb before it was nicked - people who are out for walks are hardly the type to be annoyed if they see a cyclist sharing the path anyhow, it tends to be little angry anal men with suits + bowler hats who get annoyed at such petty things.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
The New Forest in Hampshire will have hundreds of miles of cycle trails and I don't really see a problem with canal paths. I was a runner and did hundreds of miles along the tow paths and didn't need any license or anything. Here in Mid Wales which is about 2 hours drive from Hampshire, there are vast wilderness areas which are brilliant for mountain biking. You can ride all day and not meet a soul.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ludwig said:
The New Forest in Hampshire will have hundreds of miles of cycle trails and I don't really see a problem with canal paths. I was a runner and did hundreds of miles along the tow paths and didn't need any license or anything. Here in Mid Wales which is about 2 hours drive from Hampshire, there are vast wilderness areas which are brilliant for mountain biking. You can ride all day and not meet a soul.

No, there isn't a problem with canal towpaths generally, but they are the domain of the Waterways. You can run on them, fine, but they do ask for cyclists to obtain permits to ride on them. They too have to think about their liability, and where they have risk assessed that it would not be safe for pedestrians and bikes to share a towpath, they don't issue permits. (Huddersfield Narrow Canal for example).

So. If you want to ride on a towpath, look it up on the web, go to their site and check whether permits are available for that stretch. If they are, you can download one and ride on it at no extra cost. If no permit is available, then you can't, because it's not safe either for you or for the other people who want to use it. (but you are probably more than welcome to run on it.....)

Top Bottom