Where could I cycle that is about 50 miles away from Chippenham, Wiltshire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JDH

I am planning a 2 day cycle trip with a friend, about 50 miles there, then stay overnight in a B&B or youth hostel, then about 50 miles back the next day.

Where are some interesting places to cycle to and spend an evening that are about 50 miles from Chippenham, Wiltshire?
Perhaps places like Cheddar Gorge or Weston Super Mare

Thanks!

Willow

How about Salisbury, lots of Cotswoldy places must be do able, depends what you want to do/see. South Cerney water parks, Not sure of the distance of any of these. Blenheim I guess is a bit too far. Pity you can't try peddling up Silbury hill that would test the gears and leg muscles!

I come from your neck of the woods originally, still have family that way.

ASC1951

Guru
Cheddar and back would certainly be one choice, with a good trundle round the Mendips. The Hunter's Lodge at Priddy crossroads used to be my second home for many years and if you go past on a Saturday lunchtime you will find it overflowing with cavers, which is almost as much fun as Bristol Zoo.

Steer clear of Cheddar on a bank holiday, though.

How about somewhere around Oxfordshire? Lots of campsites around the Thames, and they are lovely. Day's Lock just outside Oxford is my favourite.

OP
OP
J

JDH

Thanks guys, I think we have decided on Cheddar, does anybody know a good route?

e-rider

crappy member
definitely go to salisbury via Avebury and the marlborough downs - classic ride with big skys and amazing views across chalk downs in summer - you might even see some crop circles en-route!

e-rider

crappy member
you can even take route 4 of the national cycle network from chippenham to avebury

OP
OP
J

JDH

sorry cathryn, i've already booked the youth hostel in Cheddar :huh:
Am i right in thinking that there is a disused railway line running from bristol down into cheddar? if so then corsham-bath-bristol-cheddar would be nice as there is a sustrans route between bath and bristol

Top Bottom