Where could I get methylated spirit from in my local town?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm a regular trangia user so a regular purchaser of Meths, also for pre-heating my Tilly lamps when beach fishing. Thinking about the comments re drinking the stuff, and the price of it nowadays it would not be a lot dearer to buy the real thing (booze not meths).

Would surgical spirits work as well. I ask only as most small places have a chemist even if they do not have a hardware store.

con gibbens

The price of meths certainly varies around our area (West Oxfordshire). If I remember rightly Cotswold Outdoors shows £2.99. for 500 ml (although you would get 15% off if you can show membership of a variety of organisations). Go Outdoors I believe I saw at £2.49 for 500 ml but you need to be a holder of their discount card to get that price. On the other hand a local 'cheapy' shop, "The Really Useful Shop" in Kidlington sells it for £1.99, no questions asked (unless you are a scruffy looking individual perhaps :biggrin: !!) Any other UK prices?

C

chillyuk

Would surgical spirits work as well. I ask only as most small places have a chemist even if they do not have a hardware store.

Some people do use surgical spirits. I have forgotten though why most don't recommend it. I have used pure methanol which is extremely good, especially when you can get it for free.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I left a bottle in the allotment shed for a year and the colour went and it became clear. Does this mean I can now drink it without an emetic risk?

samid

Guru
DON'T drink it even if it has no color - it's poison. The color is there only as a warning. (Same as with the nasty smell the natural gas "has" - there only to warn people about the danger, not the natural odor of the gas itself.)

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I heard that if you chop both ends off a baguette, hold it vertical and pour the meths through, it filters out the purple.
Never tried it though.

Yes yes,and if you filter red diesel through a gas mask you can use it in your car....

Meths, contains not just the dye but a taste to stop it being drunk, if you want to just get rid of the colour you can leave it in sunlight , but that won't make it taste any better or be any less dangerous to drink!

rualexander

Legendary Member
I noticed today in Go Outdoors that they are selling virtually clear meths, no purple colouring.

I've noticed that the meths in France etc, is fairly clear and doesn't cause as much sooting as the purple stuff here so wonder if this new clear stuff will be non-sooting?

samid

Guru
It is just accepted poison :smile:

With all due respect, what you are saying is highly misleading to say the least. While "normal" (ethyl) alcohol may eventually kill you if you drink too much of it - methanol (a common additive to "methylated spirits") will kill you right away (or make you blind if you are lucky). From wikipedia:

Methanol has a high toxicity in humans. If ingested, for example, as little as 10 mL of pure methanol can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve, and 30 ml is potentially fatal.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
With all due respect, what you are saying is highly misleading to say the least. While "normal" (ethyl) alcohol may eventually kill you if you drink too much of it - methanol (a common additive to "methylated spirits") will kill you right away (or make you blind if you are lucky). From wikipedia:

Methanol has a high toxicity in humans. If ingested, for example, as little as 10 mL of pure methanol can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve, and 30 ml is potentially fatal.

How is it misleading to say all alcohol is poison? It is the truth.

Top Bottom