Where did my legs go.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before hanging up my triple for the summer I gave it a good clean and a bit of a fettle before taking it out for a run this morning. Prior to doing so I changed the cassette from a 12 / 30 to an 11/28 and didn't think it would make a difference that I would notice.
However when out on the run it was a complete nightmare and I struggled with the hills big time. It honestly felt like I was pulling a boat and spent most of the time on the middle cog on my triple which is a 50/39/30. Even in the 39 it felt far from natural and I lost all fluidity with the gears. Can anyone tell if this is normal with the gearing I was using. Surely 2 less teeth on the cassette would not make a difference. It has me baffled and annoyed because I felt terrible this morning :sweat:

uclown2002

Guru
Sounds like you need to ride more!

Sounds like you need to ride more!

Did you forget to plug in the battery :smile:

Shaun

Maybe just had an off day, tomorrow will be better :smile:

Thanks for the honesty guys but not what I was looking for. Thought I had genuinely hit upon the nightmare gear combo. Have never used the 39 tooth cog as much in my life. BOOHOO . I am now gonna open some of the kids easter eggs and eat the back halves.:cry:

Mrs M

Guru
Thanks for the honesty guys but not what I was looking for. Thought I had genuinely hit upon the nightmare gear combo. Have never used the 39 tooth cog as much in my life. BOOHOO . I am now gonna open some of the kids easter eggs and eat the back halves.:cry:
Enjoy the chocolate eggs.
Can't get mine till Tuesday when they're half price :ohmy:

ayceejay

Guru
Other than the top end and the bottom end does everything else in the cassette remain the same?
Like most of us you probably have a sweet spot combination (ratio) and this may have changed due to your new cassette or your fitness level - lets assume that everything is mechanically correct.

If there is any issue, you would notice it straight away on the flats when you change gears. Go thru the full range. It might be case of getting used to it as you did change the gearing configuration. It appears to be a case of frustration getting the better of us.

Other than the top end and the bottom end does everything else in the cassette remain the same?
Like most of us you probably have a sweet spot combination (ratio) and this may have changed due to your new cassette or your fitness level - lets assume that everything is mechanically correct.
Cheers Ayceejay. Some of the guys I cycle with have said that as well. Just a case of using the 11/28 for a few weeks and developing a new sweet spot / combo. Suggested I used the 12/30 to long over the winter. Thanks :okay:

Top Bottom